The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Power & Conflict poetry Paper 2 8702/2 - 25 May 2018

What poem does anyone think will come up? I think it will be a short poem. Last year it was Bayonet Charge. Possibly storm on the island or kamikaze

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it will be storm on the island because i did it for mocks. I have a bad feeling that tissue will come up. :frown:
Reply 2
Last year's was a poem that was based heavily around war, so I suspect this year's will likely be more on the power side of the spectrum.

At a glance, my first prediction would probably be London. It's one of the nicer ones (I think the exam board is more likely to give a fairly easy poem, so it dosen't put the weaker students at a disadvantage- they can choose another fairly easy poem to compare without being pulled down), but it also compares well with Tissue, which according to my teacher AQA are very keen for the top grade students to do, as it's so damn hard. It's also fairly short.

Others that are likely for me would be Poppies, The Emigree or SOTI.
Reply 3
Original post by Fazzy_77
I don't think it will be storm on the island because i did it for mocks. I have a bad feeling that tissue will come up. :frown:

Your teacher must have chosen the poem because last year the poem was Bayonet Charge
Please don't be tissue or Kamikaze :redface: Please don't be tissue or Kamikaze :/
Reply 5
It may seem a bit stupid but it’s actually quite logical. AQA will choose a poem that fits the page so it’s likely to be a short poem as last year it was Bayonet Charge and on the specimens it’s Ozymandias. Also since the paper is 2 hours 15 minutes with 4 hard questions, AQA will choose a poem that can be analysed quickly and read quickly so you have time to think about it.
Original post by hamzahabdulhamid
It may seem a bit stupid but it’s actually quite logical. AQA will choose a poem that fits the page so it’s likely to be a short poem as last year it was Bayonet Charge and on the specimens it’s Ozymandias. Also since the paper is 2 hours 15 minutes with 4 hard questions, AQA will choose a poem that can be analysed quickly and read quickly so you have time to think about it.

So which poem are you suggesting?
Reply 7
Original post by Ihatelife2
So which poem are you suggesting?

Any short poem. Since last year was based on war and conflict they have to change the theme. London is a possibility it is about power and it has never come up in exams. But ‘whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth’ - Sherlock Holmes. It’s a mix of gamble and elimination if you don’t learn all the poems but who can be bothered
Any short poem. Since last year was based on war and conflict they have to change the theme. London is a possibility it is about power and it has never come up in exams. But ‘whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth’ - Sherlock Holmes. It’s a mix of gamble and elimination if you don’t learn all the poems but who can be bothered

I guess I will have to learn them all...

just because you had it on your mock doesn't mean it won't come up lmao. the teachers pick the poems if bayonet charge wasn't used.
also i feel like it may be to do with identity?
ozymandias which was on the specimen was about power, bayonet charge (last year) was about war etc i just feel like they'll be really mean this year.
identity poems are definitely my weakest ones.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
just because you had it on your mock doesn't mean it won't come up lmao. the teachers pick the poems if bayonet charge wasn't used.

It was a specimen paper from aqa so I just thought that they probably wouldn't use it again.
It was a specimen paper from aqa so I just thought that they probably wouldn't use it again.

i thought ozymandias was on the specimen paper? or i presume you're talking about the second set of papers if there is one.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i thought ozymandias was on the specimen paper? or i presume you're talking about the second set of papers if there is one.

The one with ozymandias is on the aqa website and is available to anyone. But the one we did with storm on the island is only available to teachers for them to use it in mocks. Anyways, lets all just pray that it isn't tissue
Reply 14
The one with ozymandias is on the aqa website and is available to anyone. But the one we did with storm on the island is only available to teachers for them to use it in mocks. Anyways, lets all just pray that it isn't tissue

Wait was it a November paper from AQA 2017??
Wait was it a November paper from AQA 2017??

I'm not sure, sorry.
Reply 16
I'm not sure, sorry.

Was the poem in a booklet of questions with books?
Yeah it was.

teachers gave us tissue on our mocks, was the one poem i didn't want to come up:redface:
Reply 19
Yeah it was.

What were the book questions? Do you do Lord of Flies? I’m asking because I want to eliminate the ones who have come up in the past two examinations from AQA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending