Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, Im year 12 and I recently moved to new school, where I started hitting high grades at the start of the year, when I was joining.....ever since then, whenever I get high grade.....I need to stop acting cocky.....but I don't know how to....People ask what my grade is, it always beats (apart from one or two occasions)....I also do hardly any work in class..I manage to do it at home....so that affects them I think....but any advice on how I can improve my attitude?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neluxsan)
    Basically, Im year 12 and I recently moved to new school, where I started hitting high grades at the start of the year, when I was joining.....ever since then, whenever I get high grade.....I need to stop acting cocky.....but I don't know how to....People ask what my grade is, it always beats (apart from one or two occasions)....I also do hardly any work in class..I manage to do it at home....so that affects them I think....but any advice on how I can improve my attitude?
    and any advice on what to say when they tell me their grade? I say, you can do better next time....but somehow that seems cocky too...

ReputationRep:
    When they ask what your grade is, tell them "if i told you i'd have to kill you" and avoid giving them your grades.

Seriously, there's not much you can do if you are getting better grades than everyone else.

When people tell you what their grade is, if it is good but not quite as good as yours you could always ask them how they felt they did and if they are happy with that result.

If you do tell them yours and they act a bit sad and scored substantially lower you could always ask if there's a topic they are struggling with and offer to help them if it's something you know you are strong at? Divert the attention away from yourself and your grade and ask questions about their results, their experience of it, what they found easy, what was hard, anything at all that puts the focus back on the person you are talking to. It will make them feel good even if they didn't match your grade and you won't look so cocky and even if you do act over-confident they'll forget it because they'll be talking about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnalouise99)
    When they ask what your grade is, tell them "if i told you i'd have to kill you" and avoid giving them your grades.

Seriously, there's not much you can do if you are getting better grades than everyone else.

When people tell you what their grade is, if it is good but not quite as good as yours you could always ask them how they felt they did and if they are happy with that result.

If you do tell them yours and they act a bit sad and scored substantially lower you could always ask if there's a topic they are struggling with and offer to help them if it's something you know you are strong at? Divert the attention away from yourself and your grade and ask questions about their results, their experience of it, what they found easy, what was hard, anything at all that puts the focus back on the person you are talking to. It will make them feel good even if they didn't match your grade and you won't look so cocky and even if you do act over-confident they'll forget it because they'll be talking about themselves.
    Thnks...will try following this

ReputationRep:
    just never brag! nobody can say you're cocky by just saying your grade, especially if they asked you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by circleofsighs)
    just never brag! nobody can say you're cocky by just saying your grade, especially if they asked you.
    Okayy...I don't brag that much....I'm consistent compared to other people.....

ReputationRep:
    Okayy...I don't brag that much....I'm consistent compared to other people.....
    then don't worry about your attitude, you're doing fine.
    but never compare yourself to other people, only your past self.

ReputationRep:
    then don't worry about your attitude, you're doing fine.
    but never compare yourself to other people, only your past self.
    Can't live alone....need to have friends....can't have people bad-mouthing...

ReputationRep:
    Can't live alone....need to have friends....can't have people bad-mouthing...
    have you fallen out with your friends because of this?

ReputationRep:
    have you fallen out with your friends because of this?
    not really....I moved to a new school....finding friends is hard coz of this

ReputationRep:
    not really....I moved to a new school....finding friends is hard coz of this
    join a few clubs so that you can talk to people about things other than grades! if you find some people who share your interests it's easy to make friends with them

ReputationRep:
    join a few clubs so that you can talk to people about things other than grades! if you find some people who share your interests it's easy to make friends with them
    I go gym....hardly anyone turns up.....I go football....starting to make friends there though....but no girls:bawling:..still its calm since I'm not looking for any rn

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.