Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am a very indecisive year 11 that is really stuck between two possible pathways for uni.

Part of me wants to continue to study biology at at a higher level due to my enjoyment in studying the content and having a general understanding in it (especially in plant biology!!), however another part of me doesn't want to prevent myself from being able to study history at a top university (e.g. top Russell Group/Oxbridge).

My current choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and History (Medieval) with the intention of taking all 4 to A2 level, however I'm concerned that having only one humanity A-Level and no EngLit would severely prevent me from being able to pursue history if so desired. Also, I'm fearful that top unis would disregard me as indecisive and not passionate for the subject when I really am!

Is this the case, and if so, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any help!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am stuck in the same position as you, struggling what to choose for my a levels.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need English Lit to do History at degree level? Why do you need Chemistry or Maths? Really, you should just sit down and think about what course you think you want to take in the future, and what A levels you enjoy. And really if going to a ‘top level uni’ matters to you, because it doesn’t make a difference unless it’s like the top 3 uni’s, and you’ll need all A*s predicted and a smashing interview to be accepted in anyway
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza786666)
    Hi

I am stuck in the same position as you, struggling what to choose for my a levels.
    What are you stuck between?

ReputationRep:
    just not knowing what to do at all lol

ReputationRep:
    I can only advise you to go with your heart! Choose what you see yourself still enjoying doing in 20 years time...

If you go down the history route I would definitely recommend taking out either chemistry or maths to swap to English literature (maths and chemistry have no REAL use if going down history pathway)

However if you want to stick with biology, you have a solid selection of subjects in your current choices already...

If still unsure, I’d switch out maths for eng lit, as it is still a facilitating subject, and then your subjects would leave you open to both pathways if you change your mind down the line

Hope this is some help?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Histology)
    Hi! I am a very indecisive year 11 that is really stuck between two possible pathways for uni.

Part of me wants to continue to study biology at at a higher level due to my enjoyment in studying the content and having a general understanding in it (especially in plant biology!!), however another part of me doesn't want to prevent myself from being able to study history at a top university (e.g. top Russell Group/Oxbridge).

My current choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and History (Medieval) with the intention of taking all 4 to A2 level, however I'm concerned that having only one humanity A-Level and no EngLit would severely prevent me from being able to pursue history if so desired. Also, I'm fearful that top unis would disregard me as indecisive and not passionate for the subject when I really am!

Is this the case, and if so, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any help!!
    what do you see yourself working as for the next many years of your like after you graduate from uni, as a biologist/anything to do with medicine or as a historian/humanities person.
    honestly, the best advice I've ever been given is to follow my true passion regardless of the salary, because afterall, it's your life you're living and you don't want to wake up every single day as an adult that's not happy with their career.
    if I were you, to keep my options open I would definitely do biology and history a level since you can easily excel in both of them, however as your other 1/2 option/s, really think about your career path and decide to go for another humanity subject or another science subject, or my advice is to not do maths and to choose chemistry and eng lit as your other choices, since maths is really only required for engineering and mathematical subjects.
    when it comes to getting into university, don't worry about that, unless you're doing a very specific degree, unis won't ask for specific subjects, and if they do; you can apply elsewhere.
    hope I helped,good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.