Turn on thread page Beta

VB1342 - Animal Circuses and Entertainment Bill 2018 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many as are of that opinion, Aye
    63.83%
    On the contrary, No
    8.51%
    Abstain
    27.66%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B1342 - Animal Circuses and Entertainment Bill 2018, TSR Government
    A

BILL

TO

outlaw the commercial use of animals solely for entertainment.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

For the purposes of this Act-
    (i) 'solely”' refers to the idea that animals are only kept and used for entertainment and profit,
    (ii) '’institution' refers to any commercial business, such as zoos and circuses collectively,
    (iii) 'commercial' refers to an institution which has more than 10 individual animals and profits from them on a regular basis (see criteria for ‘private animal collections’)
    (iv) 'animal circus' refers to a circus that has non-domesticated animal performances in their shows for entertainment purposes.
    (v) ‘exploitative’ refers to the unethical treatment of an animal for the sole purpose of profit and entertainment.

1. Outlawing of commercial use of animals solely for entertainment

(1) Institutions which commercially profit from the captivity and performance of non-domesticated animals solely for entertainment are outlawed; such as animal circuses or exploitative zoos.

2. Implementation

(1) The implementation and enforcement (issuing of licenses) of this Act should be the sole responsibility of the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Animal and Plant Health Agency) of the UK.

(2) Inspections of circuses are the responsibility of the aforementioned DEFRA agency which must-
    (i) inspect any circus or other institution under suspicion
    (ii) shut down any non-compliant circuses or institutions and relocate animals with the support of the police force.

(3) An inspection for circuses must conclude that the institution possesses no non-domesticated animals used for entertainment and profit to pass the inspection.

(4) For zoos and other institutions with non-domesticated animals to pass the inspection they must have a conservation scheme with at least one of these criteria-
    (i) participating in research from which conservation benefits accrue to the species,
    (ii) captive breeding,
    (iii) repopulation or reintroduction of species into the wild,
    (iv) providing zoological knowledge and education to the public.

(5) Violation of this Act by a circus by using animals to solely perform for entertainment will result in both-
    (i) a shutting down of the circus
    (ii) imprisonment of the owner and participants of the offence of up to 5 years

(6) Violation of this Act by a zoo or other institution by keeping animals in captivity solely for entertainment will result in either-
    (i) a shutting down of the zoo
    (ii) temporary takeover of the institution and implementation of the criteria required for a lawful animal captivity programme
    (iii) imprisonment of the owner and participants of the offence of up to 5 years

3. Exemptions

(1) Small private animal collections, if they meet all the criteria of-
    (i) they have less than 10 individual non-domesticated animals
    (ii) they are not open to the public for more than 7 days in a 12 month period
    (iii) they do not profit from the keeping and exhibition of their animals.

4. Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the Animal Circuses and Entertainment Act 2018
    (2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
    (3) Shall come into force 1 August 2018, following Royal Assent.

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Animals are recognised as sentient beings which can feel pain in UK law, and hence should not be subject to forced performance for the entertainment of humans. The UK should follow in the footsteps of countless other European countries that have outlawed this archaic practice. Time for rehoming of these animals will be allowed due to the delayed nature of this bill’s implementation, any animals that cannot successfully be sold to zoos before this date must be donated to animal sanctuaries free of charge as to ensure all circuses/non-compliant zoos do not possess any non-domesticated animals.

ReputationRep:
    I’m assuming the proposer of this bill should change to “TSR Conservative and Unionist Party?”

DayneD89
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Connor27)
    I’m assuming the proposer of this bill should change to “TSR Conservative and Unionist Party?”

DayneD89
    I couldn't decide if I should change it or not tbh, though if I changed it then it would need to be "TSR Conservative and Unionist Party, TSR Liberal Party and TSR National Conservative Party" due to all 3 being in the government that submitted it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I couldn't decide if I should change it or not tbh, though if I changed it then it would need to be "TSR Conservative and Unionist Party, TSR Liberal Party and TSR National Conservative Party" due to all 3 being in the government that submitted it.
    Just a bit odd that this will go in Hansard under the name of a government that didn’t propose it considering the vote will end after the new administration forms on Friday.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, let's end this inhumane practice.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

I'm disappointed that my comments on how to improve the Bill as a Bill which had nothing to do policy were ignored.

Nevertheless, I oppose this on policy grounds.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Connor27)

DayneD89
    Would hope not, they didn't write it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it!

Unlock!

Posted by SpeakerBot.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.