Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping physics when applying for maths watch

ReputationRep:
    Since around December I have been considering this:

I am planning on applying for university to study maths- hopefully at Durham (my current aspiration)- and am currently studying 4 AS levels (maths, further, physics and chem). However, I have been very stressed about exams- I am not really doing much maths/ fm revision- I'm doing fine in class however I am not spending as much time as I would like revising for my maths subjects.

Thus, I have been considering dropping physics without the AS: I'm not in a particularly happy place with respect to exams and feel that extra workload with physics could potentially cause a drop in my internal/ external AS results.

I was wondering if anyone could inform me if they think it is a suitable decision with respect to university admissions- I.e. Would universities look down on the lack of an AS in physics? Could it lead to universities potentially opting for other candidates over myself. I am aware it will help me get extra ucas points but I don't feel that it is worth the risk of the drop in quality of my other subject results.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by psc---maths)

I am planning on applying for university to study maths- hopefully at Durham (my current aspiration)- and am currently studying 4 AS levels (maths, further, physics and chem). However, I have been very stressed about exams- I am not really doing much maths/ fm revision- I'm doing fine in class however I am not spending as much time as I would like revising for my maths subjects.

Thus, I have been considering dropping physics without the AS: I'm not in a particularly happy place with respect to exams and feel that extra workload with physics could potentially cause a drop in my internal/ external AS results.

I was wondering if anyone could inform me if they think it is a suitable decision with respect to university admissions- I.e. Would universities look down on the lack of an AS in physics? Could it lead to universities potentially opting for other candidates over myself. I am aware it will help me get extra ucas points but I don't feel that it is worth the risk of the drop in quality of my other subject results.
    Maths, further maths and chemistry sounds good to me and will be fine for Durham (along with STEP/TMUA if necessary). How are you doing in chemistry?

Doonesbury thoughts about the OP dropping Physics?

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering similar but dropping chemistry instead of physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Maths, further maths and chemistry sounds good to me and will be fine for Durham (along with STEP/TMUA if necessary). How are you doing in chemistry?

I'm doing fine in chemistry- I'm scoring around 80-85% in tests (I think with the new chemistry course/ boundaries an A is about 65%). Although if I were to drop physics this could probably be improved a bit. I feel that it is also for my mental health with respect to my thoughts- I am starting to feel burned out and believe that workload/ exams is getting to me. Hence I don't want to risk burning out completely before doing an AS
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

UCAS tariff points are irrelevant for Durham or similar universities.
    What are your (early) predictions for Maths, FM and Chem at A-level?

(Original post by Notnek)

Unless the university entry requirements say otherwise it's absolutely fine not to offer Physics. e.g. it's not required by Cambridge.

Durham doesn't require Physics either.
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?...ics#admissions

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Doonesbury;76479830]Unless the university entry requirements say otherwise it's absolutely fine not to offer Physics. e.g. it's not required by Cambridge.

Durham doesn't require Physics either.
    [url="https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11550

A*A*A*A- A* in physics. Though I'm working more at a grade B level (predictions were made based on GCSEs).

(Sorry for continually editing- my posts are going weird on my phone)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm predicted A*A*A*A- but that was merely based on GCSEs. (The A* being in physics). However in actual physics tests I am not doing as well as in the other 3 subjects- whilst I started the year off reasonably I have went downhill and am performing at around B standard.
    According to https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/ applicants with predicted A*A*A* in Maths, FM, Chemistry, (no Physics) have a 75% chance of offer at Durham.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 7, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.