Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Raf firefighter the job watch

Hi, thought I would write this as when I was looking at joining the raf fire service I looked on here. Unfortunately I never saw anything about the job when u have got in nd passed Halton and Manston. I am currently two years into my career as a firefighter. The job is mostly admin work nd training, sorry but u dnt get fires or planes crashing Its mostly false alarms. To give u a idea of a normal day shift u check the appliance nd equipment then do whatever jobs are on tht day, its mostly weekly vehicle tests, fire extinguisher maintenance and adim for all of tht. Its lots of form filling on the computer. Mostly we have to train to keep our skills up crash exercises and domestic exercise. If u want to play sports you will struggle to get time to do it unless u play tht sport at a high level. Education wise u have to be in 4 years before u can apply for uni courses. U have access to a levels through education on station. As a SAC u will not be able to do fire safety courses, the chance to easily move to civil service when u leave is not likely from all of the people I have worked with and who have left.
    Hope this is useful, feel free to ask any other questions you may have nd will try to answer them
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.