The Student Room Group

Not having the correct GCSE grades for uni

I'm rather concerned, soon enough I'm going to have to apply for uni however, i want to study either Nursing or Midwifery, i don't have a science GCSE is there anyway i can get around this?
Foundation year
Many unis will accept you for a foundation year
I know a few people who flopped alevels and got into these courses with a foundation year
Original post by a.evans38
I'm rather concerned, soon enough I'm going to have to apply for uni however, i want to study either Nursing or Midwifery, i don't have a science GCSE is there anyway i can get around this?

How long until you are applying? You can study GCSE Science through a distance learning provider? Or at a local college. If you're still of school age you can retake it at school. Contact the admissions team at whatever university you want to go to and ask them what their policies are. Some are stricter than others! Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by AngelaVickers
How long until you are applying? You can study GCSE Science through a distance learning provider? Or at a local college. If you're still of school age you can retake it at school. Contact the admissions team at whatever university you want to go to and ask them what their policies are. Some are stricter than others! Good luck!

I am in Year 12, so will need to apply by October 2018 if i wish to go to Uni the following year, i have looked at this however, i am struggling for time and was wondering if there were any other ways of getting round it?
Original post by a.evans38
I am in Year 12, so will need to apply by October 2018 if i wish to go to Uni the following year, i have looked at this however, i am struggling for time and was wondering if there were any other ways of getting round it?

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, there isn't. If they have stated that part of their entry requirements includes GCSE Science then you will have to achieve that. But I'm sure there are certain courses that doesn't require the GCSE so just look around and contact all of them asking how strict their policies are. Alrernatively, you could look into doing a foundation year?

Quick Reply

Latest