Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Need Advice - Male Potentially Going to a Female Orientated College watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay I have a strange situation and I would like your guys's advice on what to do...

I have been offered a place to study film for two years at The American International School in Richmond, London and one year (the last year) as a transfer student in Los Angeles.
    However, I found out earlier that the school is a college mainly made for and aimed at girls, with over 90% of students being female. It's called Mount Saint Mary's College L.A. in case anyone wanted to know.

On the other hand, the tuition would only be the UK average of £9250, therefore being WAY way cheaper than the average US tuition. I would have applied to do a full course somewhere in the US or in LA but 60 thousand dollars per year is just pretty gross.

Since the final year would be in L.A. I would have time to make contacts and get to know the people there as this is what the film industry is heavily based on - therefore potentially getting a job in L.A. in the future.

But since the college is for girls - and I am not one - I feel as though getting a degree there wouldn't be looked at as highly as though it were from somewhere like Los Angeles Film School. The school is not one that would be considered prestigious and having a degree from a female school could be seen as slightly embarrasing to people higher up. Could I be discredited for not going to a 'better' college?

What do people think? Go, it's worth the money, career potential and experience.
    Or don't, it's not a worthy degree if not from a prestigious school.

I would also like to mention that I have offers to do film also at Greenwich, University of East Anglia - with a foundational year - and Kent.

Many thanks in advance if anyone reads this.

ReputationRep:
    Just because more females study there it would not looked highly on?
    Maybe I misunderstood you

Anyway look at the ranking and stats of that uni employment rate is what you should focus on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiffany42)
    Just because more females study there it would not looked highly on?
    Maybe I misunderstood you

Anyway look at the ranking and stats of that uni employment rate is what you should focus on
    Sorry my mistake. More females =/= not being looked highly upon.
    I basically meant that as a boy going to a nearly all girls college that takes pride in its sisterhood, female empowerment, and ect, it might be looked at strangely as to why a boy has gone there.

The stats all seem fine from what I have found. I can't seem to find anything about what employers and other people think of it from an outside POV.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no, you'd probably destroy their backstabbing shenanigans.

Just go to a mixed college, you'll feel much better and socialize better.

ReputationRep:
    lol that would suck dude

go to east anglia...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.