Turn on thread page Beta

6 favourite people who disagree with you politically watch

ReputationRep:
    Who are (if any) your 6 favourite people (can be politicians, journalists or anyone well known) whose politics you disagree with but find yourself liking for whatever reason. Good way of finding out if you really are tolerant and open minded 😉

Mine:

1: Ken Clarke: Still like the big beast, despite disagreeing with him on a number of issues now. I admire how he’s not afraid of being unpopular and sticking to his guns.

2: Sargon of Akkad/ PJ Watson- they just crack me up to be honest.

3: George Osborne: No idea frankly, maybe because he’s looks like a slightly comical bad guy and ends up looking really awkward and he can be pretty funny too.

4: Yanis Varoufakis: He just seems to be a genuinely good person who is also open minded and not just virtue signalling or saying what sounds trendy

5: Lisa Nandy: same as above

6: president Macron: he reminds me of Dennis from Its always Sunny... also his off the cuff remarks are hilarious

Eg: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.n...nts-2017%3famp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

6: president Macron: he reminds me of Dennis from Its always Sunny... also his off the cuff remarks are hilarious
    My favourite is when he compared himself to Jupiter, the ruler of the Roman gods.

He is such a bell end and the fact all our centrists are queing up to kiss his ass is so embarrasing.

Aniother top moment was when he basically agreed with Jeremy Corbyn on the single marke in that Andrew Marr inerview, but because our favourite jupiterian god king uttered the words all the centrists were hot over their heels for it. He can even speak english! It's worse than the fawning over of Justin Trudeauand and his imperialist socks.

The problem wih this question is most poeple do not give a fair hearing to thier enemies' arguments. Stephan Bush is way more middle of the road than I am, but his analysis is fair imo and he didn't just blindly treat those on the labour left as if we were all mentally ill. It's worth getting past Helin Lewis complain about the Trans lobby to get to his analysis on the NS podcast. The probelm is I dislilke most media commentators. I rember just after the 2017 election and Andrew Marr had a sofa of Osbourne, Toby Young and Polly Toynbee (who for some reason counts as the left wing view, SPD scab that she is) all giving their view after they were all so ****ing wrong about everything. I could do the same job they do, except I don;t get paid all that ****ing money for being wrong about everything. **** the lot of them.

ReputationRep:
    Kwasi Kwarteng, seems decent and a lot less smug than many Tories.
    Anne Widdecombe(doesn't descend to the gutter or smear, tells the truth, opposes on principle not opportunism)
    Ken Clarke.
    Heidi Allen.
    Peter Oborne - interesting and nuanced, not a classic reactionary, bigot or smear merchant.
    David Davis, although I agree with him most out of the list, especially on his stance on Civil Liberties and Brexit. hes' right on many many things and swims against the tide on principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    fawning over of Justin Trudeauand and his imperialist socks
    Of all the things you could call him, imperialist? Really?

The guy got offended by the thought of bombing Isis

The problem wih this question is most poeple do not give a fair hearing to thier enemies' arguments. Stephan Bush is way more middle of the road than I am, but his analysis is fair imo and he didn't just blindly treat those on the labour left as if we were all mentally ill. It's worth getting past Helin Lewis complain about the Trans lobby to get to his analysis on the NS podcast. The probelm is I dislilke most media commentators. I rember just after the 2017 election and Andrew Marr had a sofa of Osbourne, Toby Young and Polly Toynbee (who for some reason counts as the left wing view, SPD scab that she is) all giving their view after they were all so ****ing wrong about everything. I could do the same job they do, except I don;t get paid all that ****ing money for being wrong about everything. **** the lot of them.
    Do you not think they also view the conservative right through the same lense?

ReputationRep:
    Of all the things you could call him, imperialist? Really?

The guy got offended by the thought of bombing Isis

Do you not think they also view the conservative right through the same lense?
    Not really. Since Thatcher the economic debate shifted so far to the right (free market) that when someone like Miliband proposed mildly social democratic proposals like freezing energy prices or buying up unused property to build housing, the press made out like he was a Soviet Communist. They really did.

Though I don't agree with Corbyn on everything I do like how he's not caved into the press at all really. He's maintained a firm and solid anti austerity position throughout rather than conceding the economic argument like much of Labour was suggesting the party should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    Not really. Since Thatcher the economic debate shifted so far to the right (
    I’m on about social conservatives not economic liberal (Thatcherites)

ReputationRep:
    I’m on about social conservatives not economic liberal (Thatcherites)
    Still, I don't think the're portrayed by the media as extremists in the same way that they did to someone like Ed Miliband.

Calling Ed Miliband a communist would be like calling JRM a fascist. The media did the former, not the latter (though admittedly some leftist students and idiots did the latter).

ReputationRep:
    Milo & Stefan Molyneux

ReputationRep:
    Tim Montgomerie
    Peter Hitchens
    Nick Clegg - don't like to admit it but kinda have a soft spot for him
    George Galloway
    Alistair Campbell
    Angus Robertson

ReputationRep:
    Stil
    Calling Ed Miliband a communist would be like calling JRM a fascist. The media did the former, not the latter (though admittedly some leftist students and idiots did the latter).
    I am almost positive I read on the Guardian and Independent that JRM is a fascist

ReputationRep:
    Tim Montgomerie
    Peter Hitchens
    Nick Clegg - don't like to admit it but kinda have a soft spot for him
    George Galloway
    Alistair Campbell
    Angus Robertson
    PRSOM

Some good choices

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM

Some good choices
    I think I like people who stand for something and are true to that. Could have put JRM there tbh. I disagree with him on nearly everything but I kind of admire that unlike Cameron he doesn't pretend to be 'one of us' who likes football and watching Glastonbury! He doesn't pretend to be anything he isn't.

Do you remember when Cameron said he likes to watch Glastonbury in front of a warm fire? Haha

On another note this is still the greatest TV interview:

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Jeremy Corbyn - I don't agree with him on his policies but he seems like a really nice guy
    Piers Morgan -Pffttt this guy is a nut job but I just love the way he speaks and how he argue's his case.
    Justin trudeau
    Andrew Neil
    Philip Hammond - Feel sorry for him he is treated so badly within his own party

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Jeremy Corbyn - I don't agree with him on his policies but he seems like a really nice guy
    Piers Morgan -Pffttt this guy is a nut job but I just love the way he speaks and how he argue's his case.
    Justin trudeau
    Andrew Neil
    Philip Hammond - Feel sorry for him he is treated so badly within his own party
    Ey...so you’re s Conservative?

Trudeau 🤮
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Think its good to have some people you disagree with politically, makes you think about stuff. Is no good just living in an echo chamber

ReputationRep:
    Damon Albarn
    Nick Clegg
    Jon Jarfari
    Anthony Fantano
    Nick Bertke
    Emperor Hirohito
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ey...so you’re s Conservative?

Trudeau 🤮
    No, I'm a labour guy but consider myself as a centrist.

Justin Trudeau - far too liberal for my liking and not the ideal centrist for me. But a very funny and likeable person, who is tolerant.

What is there not to like about him
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Jordan Peterson
    Milo
    Piers Morgan
    Blaire White
    Donald Trump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    No, I'm a labour guy but consider myself as a centrist.

Justin Trudeau - far too liberal for my liking and not the ideal centrist for me. But a very funny and likeable person, who is tolerant.

What is there not to like about him
    Gets offended by pretty much anything

Writes draconian new laws policing universities

Claims to be s feminist but attacks women he disagrees with (this seems to be trend/ eg Harvey Weinstein)

Sees nothing wrong with FGM or Buqas

He’s a living caricature of the worst kind of progressive. And of course he’s very wealthy from. An elite background and his country sells billions of arms to the Middle East whilst proclaiming itself a ethical superpower...

ReputationRep:
    Peter Hitchens only when he fails to search his own name on Twitter
    Macron because he's the second coming of Napoleon I and has a big brain

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.