Turn on thread page Beta

How Hard is Engineering in University? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How hard is engineering in university? Specifically software engineering and mechanical. Can I survive with high 80s in high school?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tomokari)
    How hard is engineering in university? Specifically software engineering and mechanical. Can I survive with high 80s in high school?
    If you meet the entry requirements apply. They will assess your application and decide to make an offer if they think you are capable.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on you. Engineering is mostly maths and physics so how do you find those?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's widely regarded as one of the toughest courses because of the mix of rigorous academic requirements for both pure and applied mathematics and physics content, but also because of the relentless workload coupled with the highly practical nature of the various disciplines.

The core modules will surpass A-level Further Maths within the first year and build on that throughout the second year. Depending on the engineering discipline you choose, the level of application of maths and physics to solving problems follows suit.

For instance, mechanical engineering majors on dynamic forces, vectors, stress and strains, material properties, thermodynamics etc. and techniques such as Finite Element Analysis and other computational modelling methods.

Software majors on programming as you may imagine, but covers real time applications where complex iterative computation must be done in a tightly constrained time boundary, to things like large scale relational databases, signal processing, speech recognition and fabrication etc. The maths content covering these will be high. Physics is not so much of an issue though, as software is about computation rather than a rigorous understanding of system dynamics.

Electronics is much more abstract and concentrates on mathematical simulation, em force-fields, sub-atomic properties, 2nd order differentials, surface and volume integrals, various transforms, statistics, regression analysis, matrix methods etc. as well as signal processing, interfacing, device fabrication, thermodynamics, programming, the list goes on.

All engineering requires a very hands on approach and projects form a major part not just from the construction and testing elements, but also project management, teamwork, financial accounting, health and safety, statutory legislation etc.

I'd say, if you are not practically minded or want to constantly take things apart to find out how they work in order to improve form and function, or, don't relish complex problem solving under pressure, then pure academic results will not prepare you for the shock of getting your hands dirty in engineering.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm not sure about software, but mechanical is quite hard. But, if you keep up with the work there is no reason why you shouldn't achieve a good grade - overall engineering degrees do award a good amount of "good honours", i.e. 2:1s and above.

What are you current grades and subjects? It certainly helps a lot if they are in things like maths and physics.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Considering most students get good grades (2:1 or better) you can "survive" along with everyone else.

It's not a walk in the park, but certainly doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In terms of Software Engineering (G600), its difficulty will depend a lot on the university you go to (obviously top universities will be a lot more intense), but it also depends on how you feel about the kinds of topics which are covered. Also, the first year of a Software Engineering degree usually starts by assuming no previous programming knowledge nor previous study of Computer Science. If you'd studied CompSci at A-Level, you'll have a head-start in the first year. Also, any of your own time you might have spent teaching yourself about programming/OO/etc will make things a lot easier

Over the 3 years of a the degree, you can expect to study topics/modules such as:
    • Programming in several languages (Typically languages such as Python, Java, C#, C and C++)
    • Object Oriented Design / Design Patterns / UML
    • Database design and SQL
    • Web Development
    • Software Development Lifecycle / Systems Analysis + Design / Technical Documentation
    • System Testing / Functional Testing / Automated Unit Testing
    • Ethics and Legal issues in Computing
    • Functional Programming (possibly using Haskell)
    • Computer architecture / Binary / Numeric representations / Logic
    • Data Structures and Algorithms
    • Concurrency / Asynchrony / Multi-threading
    • UX / UI design

It would probably also touch upon other related topics such as Electronics, some Maths, Networking, some CS theory, and Probably some "hot" topics like AI, Big Data, Cloud Computing, Internet of Things, etc.

Also, many Software Engineering courses include an industrial placement year (which may be optional for the course, but is very, very important if you care at all about getting a job as a Software Engineer after you graduate) - for a lot of people, the industrial placement year is the part of the degree course where you'll learn the most about software engineering.

Lastly, the FYP in a Software Engineering degree would almost certainly involve taking a significant non-trivial problem and needing to develop a complete system for that problem, following through the full Development Lifecycle, etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.