Turn on thread page Beta

Will my employer think Im lazy if I request to work less? watch

Ive just secures a full time job (40 hours a week) in physiotherapy I've recently qualified. Really though Id be happier just working 4 days a week as I don't really need full time pay at the moment I've only got myself to support. I really enjoy training for triathlons and ironmans and am worried I will find this difficult working 5 days per week. The thing is how do I request to just work 4 days when I've just been offered the job, without appearing lazy? Ive no excuses like kids or caring responsibilities so I will just come across as lazy. I don't mind working 5 days really but Id just like more time to train and do my own thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive just secures a full time job (40 hours a week) in physiotherapy I've recently qualified. Really though Id be happier just working 4 days a week as I don't really need full time pay at the moment I've only got myself to support. I really enjoy training for triathlons and ironmans and am worried I will find this difficult working 5 days per week. The thing is how do I request to just work 4 days when I've just been offered the job, without appearing lazy? Ive no excuses like kids or caring responsibilities so I will just come across as lazy. I don't mind working 5 days really but Id just like more time to train and do my own thing.
    Sounds like you just gotta suck it up and fit your personal life around job - as they’d expect you to do. Part of adult life I’m afraid.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Lily048)
    Sounds like you just gotta suck it up and fit your personal life around job - as they’d expect you to do. Part of adult life I’m afraid.
    Does it have to be though, I mean if you are happier having more free time over money, why work more than you need to?

ReputationRep:
    Does it have to be though, I mean if you are happier having more free time over money, why work more than you need to?
    Whether you want them to let you go or not. As an employer I would just drop you for someone that needs it full time, if the position specified full time that’s what they’ll get.

ReputationRep:
    in my office over half of the women have requested different/less hours. i personally dont like it but my employer is fine with it. makes you realise the cause of the 'gender pay gap' though

(Original post by Lily048)
    Whether you want them to let you go or not. As an employer I would just drop you for someone that needs it full time, if the position specified full time that’s what they’ll get.
    Ah right, I mean I wouldn't insist on 4 days a week since the agreed position was full time I would just ask about it and take the full time if I 'have to'. The job spec did state applicants for part time/job share welcome but at interview they did agree full time. Perhaps its better to get a foot in the door first then weigh up any options I might have later on.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, I mean I wouldn't insist on 4 days a week since the agreed position was full time I would just ask about it and take the full time if I 'have to'. The job spec did state applicants for part time/job share welcome but at interview they did agree full time. Perhaps its better to get a foot in the door first then weigh up any options I might have later on.
    I personally wouldn’t try and rock the boat especially this early on. Tread carefully

(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    in my office over half of the women have requested different/less hours. i personally dont like it but my employer is fine with it. makes you realise the cause of the 'gender pay gap' though
    Have they requested less hours after starting the job or did they request during interview?

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's maybe too late. They may have said PT and jobshare welcome but presumably they need to cover 40 hours and so they would have needed to find 2 x 20 hours or whatever at the time. They can't just leave 10 hours uncovered if that's what their service requires and I'd imagine it would be hard to find someone to cover 10 hours. It's pretty normal to work 5 days a week I would just suck it up and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't want to work 5 days a week, you shoudn't have applied for the job in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Probz

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, this is something you should have checked before getting the job. Unless they advertised flexible hours I don’t think they would be thrilled you’re asking for them so soon. Would they need to hire someone to cover your day off?

I’ve worked with marathon runners who managed to train while working full time (and travelling for work, and having kids to look after). You have to make compromises and adjustments to your life to maintain a good work life balance, I definitely wouldn’t rock to boat so quick. Especially if you’re still on probation.

With regards to them thinking you’re lazy: poor work ethic and not being a team player might be more likely thoughts. I would think the person isn’t passionate about the job, and might do poor quality work as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a good reason, it is unlikely that you will be able to work less days, especially so soon after you started the job. Your employer could easily find someone who could work the full hours requested. Stick to working 5 days for now and train in your free time. Perhaps further down the line you can divide your time the way that you want to, but not now!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    As someone who has negotiated part time work a number of times in the past - ignore everyone saying "don't ask".

There's absolutely zero harm in asking whether there's any scope for reduced/flexible working when you're offered a job. If they say no then you at least know where you stand, if they say yes then brilliant. If you accept a full time job knowing that you'd be unable to work full time hours then that's a completely different matter to applying for a full time job in the hope that they have some flexibility over hours.

Congratulations on getting the job offer. Don't be afraid to ask - and don't explain your reasons if you don't want to. If you're willing to work unsociable hours (weekends/evening slots) then let them know that too. Worst case scenario - they say "sorry we have no flexibility" and you start the job knowing exactly where you stand.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't ask you don't get

It's not like they're gonna sack you for asking

If you're on a trial period/probation period, perhaps it's better off asking once you've passed....?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not an employer nor do I have experience hiring someone, but personally if I gave someone a full-time, 5 day a week job needing 40 hours of work a week, and they agreed to it, to suddenly have them turn around and say "actually I want to do 4 days" I wouldn't be impressed. My dad hires people every year and regularly complains about people who change the terms of their agreement within weeks of saying everything is fine, because it causes problems for other parts of the company.

Again, I'm not an expert or anything but that's what I would think if I was your boss.

ReputationRep:
    Work the 5 days and after a while you might be able to get down to 4. I wouldn't risk the job just to have an extra day off for hobbies.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you say you are preparing for an Ironman, that’s hardly lazy...

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself properly established in your job. Become known as a reliable, hard-working, fully competent physio by your colleagues and 'bosses'. This will take time. Once you're seen as a key part of the team, then explore the possibility of working reduced hours. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Sisyphus)
    Get yourself properly established in your job. Become known as a reliable, hard-working, fully competent physio by your colleagues and 'bosses'. This will take time. Once you're seen as a key part of the team, then explore the possibility of working reduced hours. Good luck.
    this.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.