Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to pick my options, and so far I've roughly picked geography, French and art. I'm seriously thinking about changing art to music. I play the piano and sing, and I feel that I'd genuinely enjoy and do better in music, but I'm not sure what I'd do with a music GCSE, after school. With art, I'm alright at it, but I could actually use it after school in a design job. I know I could still do some kind of art qualification after secondary, and I do quite enjoy it, but the coursework seems horrendous and everyone I've spoken to says it is. My art teacher is also horrible, and there's no chance of me getting someone else. My mum also wants me to do music and is really opposed to me doing art, and would probably just say I've made a mistake for two years. I only have a few days to change my options, so I'd just like some more feedback on both subjects and how people found them, and their experiences.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Saharah03)
    I'm about to pick my options, and so far I've roughly picked geography, French and art. I'm seriously thinking about changing art to music. I play the piano and sing, and I feel that I'd genuinely enjoy and do better in music, but I'm not sure what I'd do with a music GCSE, after school. With art, I'm alright at it, but I could actually use it after school in a design job. I know I could still do some kind of art qualification after secondary, and I do quite enjoy it, but the coursework seems horrendous and everyone I've spoken to says it is. My art teacher is also horrible, and there's no chance of me getting someone else. My mum also wants me to do music and is really opposed to me doing art, and would probably just say I've made a mistake for two years. I only have a few days to change my options, so I'd just like some more feedback on both subjects and how people found them, and their experiences.
    It is ok to have one creative. I think its wise you have chosen to stick to one.

If you want to take it further then i'd think you will need to be doing A level and more. Quite enjoy may not be enough. If you dont take it further then its just a GCSE. Only Maths English and subjects that are required to do your chosen A level are that relevant. Are you serious about an Art/ graphics career?

I would go for the one you enjoy and will get the best grade from. It can be a breather from your other GCSEs.

When responding to questions on TSR I see many that are about students underestimating and leaving too late the coursework for Art, such that many abandon it. Music may be less demanding and time consuming, hence I would be more disposed to that. In GCSE terms a higher grade is better.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I think I'll go for music, as I would most likely fall behind the coursework for art and I would enjoy music more. Your reply made me realise that if I'm not really serious on an art career I probably shouldn't take it if I'm having doubts. Thanks again for your response, it was really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I can only tell you about gcse music since I don’t do art but I personally hate gcse music! Don’t take GCSE music unless you are Grade 5 and above!!!! Although most people say you can take music without being able to play, the new 9-1 exams are very theory based. I regret taking music, in my opinion, just stick with grade exams lol. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Also, there are 15 music pieces (for edexcel anyway) that you have to memorise and write an essay on in the final exam. It’s definitely not a ‘break’ from your other GCSEs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hiya :hi:
    Contrary to the person above, I am really enjoying GCSE music so far! (am in Year 10) I was a grade 4 when i started, and knew next-to-no theory, but picked it up really quickly (obviously it would depend on the person) but now i feel it's one of my easier subjects

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I do music GCSE. only choose music if you are GRADE 5 AND ABOVE IN PRACTICAL AND THEORY.
    I honestly cannot reiterate this enough people in my class are really struggling if they are not and wish they hadn't picked it.
    To be honest it is not a particularly fun subject.ONLY PICK IT IS YOU ARE GRADE 5 IN THEORY AND PRACTICAL

ReputationRep:
    Also you have to use this programme called Sibelius and it costs £500 to buy so you have to spend ALOT of time at school doing composition- at least 2 nights a week from halfway from year 10 onwards

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.