Turn on thread page Beta

Been asked to do this as part of my application for uni watch

ReputationRep:
    What does the criteria exactly mean?
    I completed it but didnt reference anything, just used me on view and knowledge. Was i suppose to reference things?
    Help please!

A subject specific task on a current topic relating to the course that the applicant is applying for. This will be in the form of a an essay (1000-1500 words) Describe the key characteristics of an effective PE teacher. In doing so, briefly discuss what primary or secondary physical education should, in your view, be trying to achieve.

Criteria for a Successful Essay

Evidence of clarity, coherence and appropriateness
    Evidence of ability to organise ideas and information
    Ability to present logical argument and exposition
    Evidence of critical reflection and evaluation
    Evidence of close, critical reading
    Avoid gratuitous fact or summary Ideas supported with quotations and references (remember to use Quotation marks if you are going to quote the author’s words or ideas)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Danielbeaker10)
    I completed it but didnt reference anything, just used me on view and knowledge. Was i suppose to reference things?
    Help please!

A subject specific task on a current topic relating to the course that the applicant is applying for. This will be in the form of a an essay (1000-1500 words) Describe the key characteristics of an effective PE teacher. In doing so, briefly discuss what primary or secondary physical education should, in your view, be trying to achieve.

Avoid gratuitous fact or summary Ideas supported with quotations and references (remember to use Quotation marks if you are going to quote the author’s words or ideas)
    The last point is saying that you shouldn't overuse quotes or references. They want to see your ideas. It would be good to include a few references (especially when describing the key characteristics as it would back up your points) as otherwise you would struggle to show the "evidence of close, critical reading".
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Help please!

It is a screening process and is just requiring you to write an essay.
    Better the essay more chance of being accepted.

The guidelines tell you what they are looking for so make sure whatever you write hits all the marks and ignore at your peril. As a graduate r an A level student you should know how to do these things easily. I think there is overlap between some of them.

[ Clarity how clear your essay is structures, how you explain your ideas- coherence how well you explain and link things- appropriateness- being relevant and talking about the right ideas in the right way]

[ Structure of essay, is it logical. Do you use evidence or information appropriately i.e at the right time and in the right amount from a credible source?]

[Covered a bit previously, but if you have an argument or analysis and investigation then it should be logical from one point and paragraph to another i.e beginning, middle and an end.]

[Your essay should contain analysis and evaluation, which shows you thinking about the issues and then drawing conclusions as you offer your own opinions based on your previous analysis. This is what YOU think and your opportunity to impress them with how you bring all your thoughts together]

[Do some research and show that you know what others think on the subject. That means you know current thoughts and debates about PE teaching]

Avoid gratuitous fact or summary Ideas supported with quotations and references (remember to use Quotation marks if you are going to quote the author’s words or ideas). [ As Juno pointed out. This means
    be thoughtful about how much material you use from other books] . So get the balance right between evidence which helps illustrate your point rather than evidence which is just you copying and pasting to get your word count up. You need to get the balance right.

Dont put lots of facts and tables in unless its relevant. use sparingly.
    Dont use too many long quotes unless relevant as they deprive you the chance to express you own ideas. It should be your essay and ideas, but back up and compared with (but not overwhelmed by) current thoughts on PE teaching.

Review your essay and see whether you hit the marks or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    The last point is saying that you shouldn't overuse quotes or references. They want to see your ideas. It would be good to include a few references (especially when describing the key characteristics as it would back up your points) as otherwise you would struggle to show the "evidence of close, critical reading".
    Oh okay, that makes sense now, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It is a screening process and is just requiring you to write an essay.
    Better the essay more chance of being accepted.

The guidelines tell you what they are looking for so make sure whatever you write hits all the marks and ignore at your peril. As a graduate r an A level student you should know how to do these things easily. I think there is overlap between some of them.

[ Clarity how clear your essay is structures, how you explain your ideas- coherence how well you explain and link things- appropriateness- being relevant and talking about the right ideas in the right way]

[ Structure of essay, is it logical. Do you use evidence or information appropriately i.e at the right time and in the right amount from a credible source?]

[Covered a bit previously, but if you have an argument or analysis and investigation then it should be logical from one point and paragraph to another i.e beginning, middle and an end.]

[Your essay should contain analysis and evaluation, which shows you thinking about the issues and then drawing conclusions as you offer your own opinions based on your previous analysis. This is what YOU think and your opportunity to impress them with how you bring all your thoughts together]

[Do some research and show that you know what others think on the subject. That means you know current thoughts and debates about PE teaching]

Avoid gratuitous fact or summary Ideas supported with quotations and references (remember to use Quotation marks if you are going to quote the author’s words or ideas). [ As Juno pointed out. This means
    be thoughtful about how much material you use from other books] . So get the balance right between evidence which helps illustrate your point rather than evidence which is just you copying and pasting to get your word count up. You need to get the balance right.

Dont put lots of facts and tables in unless its relevant. use sparingly.
    Dont use too many long quotes unless relevant as they deprive you the chance to express you own ideas. It should be your essay and ideas, but back up and compared with (but not overwhelmed by) current thoughts on PE teaching.

Review your essay and see whether you hit the marks or not.
    Thanks so much for such an brilliant answer, as they asked me to point out key points of an p.e teacher and in my view what secondary school should be achieving in P.E.

I seem confused on how they would want me to show evident of reflection and and evaulation and to present a logical argument.
    I didn’t struggle with this in my L3 but i think it isn’t very clear.

In this essay i have just structured it out and used couple of references to show critical reading
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks so much for such an brilliant answer, as they asked me to point out key points of an p.e teacher and in my view what secondary school should be achieving in P.E.

I seem confused on how they would want me to show evident of reflection and and evaulation and to present a logical argument.
    I didn’t struggle with this in my L3 but i think it isn’t very clear.

In this essay i have just structured it out and used couple of references to show critical reading
    You reflect on your past experiences and evaluate how they have shaped your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You reflect on your past experiences and evaluate how they have shaped your opinion.
    Okay, thanks buddy, i have used an example of how PE in my school wasn’t taught well as teachers didn’t plan lessons well and it was affecting me and other students due to only having 20 minutes out of 60 minutes the chance to exercise, because teachers didn’t set up the equipment before the lesson.

I have then went on explaining how this issues need to change

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.