Turn on thread page Beta

Is it acceptable to stay off during mock exams for anxiety? watch

ReputationRep:
    Last night, while I was trying to revise I just sort of broke down and I had a 2 panic attacks and cried a lot. If I did stay off, I would do the exam after school on the next day I was in so I wouldn’t be missing it. I usually always feel anxious at school too, but it’s never been as bad as it did yesterday, I kept on having twitches and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. Should I ask my parents if I can stay off, or should I just deal with the exams?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    If you can do it the next day then do that, hopefully you’ll feel better by then. But you definitely need to talk to a doctor about your problems and stress. Anxiety and panic attacks are serious issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    If you can do it the next day then do that, hopefully you’ll feel better by then. But you definitely need to talk to a doctor about your problems and stress. Anxiety and panic attacks are serious issues.
    Agreed! But know that you are not alone, there is an actual NHS page only about stress and anxiety before school exams (just google nhs exam stress, and you`ll find it).
    Have a look, talk to your parents, talk to a nice teacher and talk to a doctor. There are plenty of people that can help!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You're going to have to deal with the exams in some way. You can't just stay off.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do is talk to someone at your school- they can put arrangements such as doing the exam in a small group instead of a large hall if that helps, and can provide support to you in the run up to the real exams. You certainly aren't alone but staying off helps no one at all.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, and I promise you however bad you feel if you stay off mocks it will just make things worse. If you give in to the anxiety and stay at home, you'll only get more nervous about exams as they'll still be an unknown. In the real thing you're probably going to be just as stressed so now is a good time to see what you can use as coping mechanisms. Make sure your school knows about your anxiety if they don't already as they may be able to provide some extra help. I'm kind of contradicting myself here, but maybe you could also agree with your parents that you can have one 'mental health day' in the run up to exams, kind of like a safety net so if it all gets too much there is a way out. However if you do take that day you've gotta be back in the next day as the longer you stay away, the more anxious you will be when it comes time to go back into school. From the sounds of this message, it seems like this anxiety is starting to have a bad effect on your life, so it would be worth seeing your GP to find out if there is any professional help you can get. I've got a lot of self help techniques that I've learned over my 5 plus years of dealing with anxiety, so feel free to message me if you want some tips on how to manage and prevent panic attacks or stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    What are you gonna do when the real exams come around?

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.