Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been lucky enough to have received an AAA conditional offer from Liverpool and an AAB conditional offer for Nottingham, both to do get med.

I’m now entirely stuck on which to firm. I loved the interview process at Nottingham and think I prefer the way they do the course, but the SB campus is so far out whereas Liverpool is right in the city centre for the first three years, I’d be worried that no one would go out at SB or that I’d be mixing with quite a small group. Does anyone have any experience of doing either of these courses am I have no idea which to firm?

Thanks!!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by emilygraceb2408)
    I have been lucky enough to have received an AAA conditional offer from Liverpool and an AAB conditional offer for Nottingham, both to do get med.

I’m now entirely stuck on which to firm. I loved the interview process at Nottingham and think I prefer the way they do the course, but the SB campus is so far out whereas Liverpool is right in the city centre for the first three years, I’d be worried that no one would go out at SB or that I’d be mixing with quite a small group. Does anyone have any experience of doing either of these courses am I have no idea which to firm?

Thanks!!!
    They'll have different strengths, methods of teaching and things like placements and labs so compare courses very carefully.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Liverpool student so expect a biased answer but I would choose Liverpool myself
    Its an incredibly social vet school - our events are so well organised and especially the vet welcome week really integrates freshers in with the older years. There is always something extra to do - not to mention in halls you will be surrounded by non-vets also (though most vets typically tend to have at least one other with them in their accommodation) for when you want a break from it all.

In terms of teaching I can't fault it in the slightest, all lecturers try their absolute hardest to make the experience as good as it can be and while in lower years you are not being examined on it they often try and provide a clinical context for what you have learned - showing the reason of some of the courses importance and making it easier to learn.

Its a very relaxed vet school where formality is at its absolute minimum and everyone can relax and learn in their own way.
    Also the AVS cup is ours so
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wasn't even aware of the AVS cup, I had far too good a time on AVS to know such a thing existed

Imo if you think you prefer the course at Nottingham, you should go there. I went there, I've come out as good a new grad as anyone else, if not better. Yes the campus is small, but it's getting ever bigger, it's now pretty big and problems with being too small don't apply too much.

City access is easy, bus, tram or taxi, all relatively inexpensive. Nightlife in Nottingham is great, there's Loughborough too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    I wasn't even aware of the AVS cup, I had far too good a time on AVS to know such a thing existed

Imo if you think you prefer the course at Nottingham, you should go there. I went there, I've come out as good a new grad as anyone else, if not better. Yes the campus is small, but it's getting ever bigger, it's now pretty big and problems with being too small don't apply too much.

City access is easy, bus, tram or taxi, all relatively inexpensive. Nightlife in Nottingham is great, there's Loughborough too
    Liverpool is renown for being the only school that cares about the rugby matches Though a good time was had by all here too haha

I would argue if the decision is truly between Liverpool and Nottingham they're really completely equal - both very practical universities and most practices I know have mainly Liv and Not graduates and have never mentioned a preference for one over the other.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by VMD100)
    Liverpool is renown for being the only school that cares about the rugby matches Though a good time was had by all here too haha

I would argue if the decision is truly between Liverpool and Nottingham they're really completely equal - both very practical universities and most practices I know have mainly Liv and Not graduates and have never mentioned a preference for one over the other.
    Yup agreed

The rugby matches descended into chaos and some truly amazing sites in my experience

ReputationRep:
    How are you finding life as a vet now? Is it what you expected?

Yup agreed

The rugby matches descended into chaos and some truly amazing sites in my experience
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by User0101)
    How are you finding life as a vet now? Is it what you expected?
    Its not the job I thought it was when I applied, but it is roughly the job I expected to be when I finished uni. Vet life is long hours and tiring. It can be the best job in the world, such as this morning I revisited a calf I put on a drip at 8pm - 12am last night and the calf is now bouncing around, taking milk off mum, whilst last night the calf was collapsed, feverish and was a few hours from not making it. Fantastic feeling.
    That is balanced against animals not responding, to mistakes, ungrateful and sometimes hostile owners.

Its a mixed bag, but I still can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing!

ReputationRep:
    My daughter (final year Notts) has loved it there and is very proud of being a Nottingham student. Sorry - can't help with a comparison - don't think anyone could really as you'd have to experience both. But as has already been said - the course are very similar. Liverpool too far away for us so she didn't even apply.

She took up rugby when she started there and that's become a huge part of her life - bruises and all....

ReputationRep:
    Its not the job I thought it was when I applied, but it is roughly the job I expected to be when I finished uni. Vet life is long hours and tiring. It can be the best job in the world, such as this morning I revisited a calf I put on a drip at 8pm - 12am last night and the calf is now bouncing around, taking milk off mum, whilst last night the calf was collapsed, feverish and was a few hours from not making it. Fantastic feeling.
    That is balanced against animals not responding, to mistakes, ungrateful and sometimes hostile owners.

Its a mixed bag, but I still can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing!
    Lmao I'm a medical student in the middle of exam revision and from pure boredom I was checking veterinary curriculum (love the names: labour in a *****, investigations in sheep abortion) and for a split second I thought I'd rather be a vet than a human doctor.

I am *glad* to hear your job is also long hours and tiring though, makes me think I'd be equally as exhausted as I am on medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    Lmao I'm a medical student in the middle of exam revision and from pure boredom I was checking veterinary curriculum (love the names: labour in a *****, investigations in sheep abortion) and for a split second I thought I'd rather be a vet than a human doctor.

I am *glad* to hear your job is also long hours and tiring though, makes me think I'd be equally as exhausted as I am on medicine
    Ahhhhh! The vet med vs human med decision. Still unsure which is the better career option :0

ReputationRep:
    Choose Liverpool. Not even a contest. Its AAA for a reason. Put Nottingham as your reserve. No point asking students as they can't give a balanced comparison. All vet students think their vet school is the best. Its part of the training.

ReputationRep:
    It is worth having a look at the student satisfaction scores if you haven't already done so. Nottingham seem to be a head and shoulders above the rest.

(Original post by emilygraceb2408)

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh! The vet med vs human med decision. Still unsure which is the better career option :0
    what are your reasons for both?

ReputationRep:
    what are your reasons for both?
    I have done lots of experience for both. Vet I absolutely loved-seeing practice with large and small vets, milking, lambing, at the kennels, stables. Even the abattoir was interesting! However I love learning about the human body, how it functions and all the pathologies. I have been told there are more opportunities in medicine and the financial side of things Is much better for doctors....

ReputationRep:
    I have done lots of experience for both. Vet I absolutely loved-seeing practice with large and small vets, milking, lambing, at the kennels, stables. Even the abattoir was interesting! However I love learning about the human body, how it functions and all the pathologies. I have been told there are more opportunities in medicine and the financial side of things Is much better for doctors....
    well even though I am a medic it seems to me your heart is set on veterinary medicine.
    It's true that doctors earn better money, but if you love what you do you won't have to work a day in your life! And it's not like vets don't earn anything, you will still be able to have decent life and there may be more opportunities for private work (I think!)

Medicine has so many careers and opens so many doors, but I am sure it's the same for vet medicine. You can work with farm animals or with house pets. You can also go into research.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

We do hours you're not allowed to do. You made the right choice

I got 4 hours of sleep over the weekend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belgi1)
    Not even a contest. Its AAA for a reason.
    I don't think that's true at all...sure there is a need for strong academic performance, but there are plenty of other things to take into consideration - a range of behaviours, commitment, practical aptitude etc. So what if someone gets a B rather than an A in their third A level, it doesn't make one vet school any better or worse than any other and doesn't imply any kind of hierarchy in the kind of experience you get, the satisfaction of the students or the quality of the graduates.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Belgi1)
    Choose Liverpool. Not even a contest. Its AAA for a reason. Put Nottingham as your reserve. No point asking students as they can't give a balanced comparison. All vet students think their vet school is the best. Its part of the training.
    Lol clueless its not AAA for being a finer institution, all the vet schools are roughly par

ReputationRep:
    We do hours you're not allowed to do. You made the right choice

I got 4 hours of sleep over the weekend

if you dont work in a hospital, do you have to do on calls and night shifts?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.