Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is the easiest or best way to become a primary teacher after A levels?

ReputationRep:
    as far as I'm aware you need to do a degree and then do PGCE.

I finish my a level this year. im starting a degree with the open university this October and then doing PGCE after.
    get in touch with your local teaching colleges and see what their minimum requirements are. my local ones want a degree with 50% of the content being your subject that you want to teach.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by molly_simpsonn)
    Easiest?

There are many different ways to become a primary school teacher. The quickest in terms of time from finishing your A Levels would be a BEd or a BA in Primary education that award QTS as this is 3 years (sometimes 4 - check each university's website). Whereas to do a PGCE/SCITT/Teach first etc. you would first need a degree (generally 3 years) plus another year doing the training which would equate to 4 years of study. So I suppose a BEd or BA would be easiest timewise.

I would suggest you do some work experience in schools, across a range of year groups, so you know for sure that teaching is for you. You could do this between when your college breaks up for summer and when primary schools break up as it's normally earlier. This may take a few weeks to arrange in advance as schools are busy and you will require a DBS check (can be arranged through your college).

Just to correct a misconception: you do not need a PGCE to teach, you do, however, need QTS (qualified teacher status) to teach in state-funded primary schools.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Clarkey's advice is solid, thread moved to Teaching and education jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Clarkey's advice is solid, thread moved to Teaching and education jobs.
    I can't like your post at the moment, but have a like in spirit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by molly_simpsonn)
    Clarkey's advice is perfect, so I can add just one thing: there are two routes you can take, regardless of whether you take the undergrad or postgrad option. You can either train for ages 3-7 (Nursery-Year 2), or ages 5-11 (Years 1-6). Most people opt for the latter, and more places offer the latter, as it offers the most variety, but it's worth getting experience in Nursery and Reception to see if the 3-7 route might be for you, as you otherwise won't train for Early Years.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.