Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

People in school snooping on my Twitter page watch

ReputationRep:
    Some people in my year group at school have found my Twitter page and word has gotten round a few people. One guy was reading out my tweets to me and his friends this morning. It was quite embarrassing and it felt like an invasion of my privacy.
    What should I do now?

ReputationRep:
    Should I report them or let it go?

ReputationRep:
    Ressurecting this thread. What should I do with them?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    Some people in my year group at school have found my Twitter page and word has gotten round a few people. One guy was reading out my tweets to me and his friends this morning. It was quite embarrassing and it felt like an invasion of my privacy.
    What should I do now?
    Make your account private if you don't want them in the public timeline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What should I do now?
    If your account is public for anyone in the world to see, how is it a invasion of privacy?

Make your account private or dont post anything you wont want others seeing.

ReputationRep:
    Can’t you just block the people doing it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow I remember when this happened to me, I told this one guy because I thought he was a close friend and he didn't believe how many followers I had so I told him... and next thing you know everyone is asking me about it so I quickly made it private, changed the personal info stuff and convinced people it was someone else

ReputationRep:
    maybe they're just jealous because of how many followers u have

ReputationRep:
    What should I do now?
    I think you may have misunderstood the point of Twitter. You must choose your means of communication more carefully.

If you want to broadcast messages to the whole world then, by all means, use Twitter.

If you want to say things that nobody hears go into the middle of a large field and talk to yourself.

If you want to speak only to a few well-chosen friends in private then meet them face-to-face and act like normal human beings.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a teacher, or student?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I think you may have misunderstood the point of Twitter. You must choose your means of communication more carefully.

If you want to broadcast messages to the whole world then, by all means, use Twitter.

If you want to say things that nobody hears go into the middle of a large field and talk to yourself.

If you want to speak only to a few well-chosen friends in private then meet them face-to-face and act like normal human beings.
    Or TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has no one learned: Don't put anything online if you wouldn't want someone that you really care about to know. (Basically, if you don't want someone to know something, do not put it online! )
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    How is it an invasion of your privacy if you voluntarily posted it on the internet for people to see?

What should I do now?

ReputationRep:
    OK - I'll clarify something.
    What I feel was an invasion of my privacy was reading my tweets out. Some of them were 3+ months old as well, and he kept questioning me on them. People are welcome to look at my page, but he took it too far, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous030701)
    Are you a teacher, or student?
    Or infant...

ReputationRep:
    he took it too far, IMO.
    You don't get to decide that.

You've put tweets out, people are free to do what they want with them. That's the point of Twitter. If you don't understand that you shouldn't be on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Or infant...
    Thanks for that. :rolleyes:
    I am 16, so a student.

ReputationRep:
    You don't get to decide that.

You've put tweets out, people are free to do what they want with them. That's the point of Twitter. If you don't understand that you shouldn't be on it.
    There are some stuff on my Twitter page that are a bit personal. I have no problem with anyone reading my account (expect for spam/trolls) but there is no need to read my tweets out in front other people, especially ones which would be embarrassing in that environment (e.g. Strictly Come Dancing or my thoughts on LGBT issues.)

All he wanted to do was humiliate me.

ReputationRep:
    There are some stuff on my Twitter page that are a bit personal. I have no problem with anyone reading my account (expect for spam/trolls) but there is no need to read my tweets out in front other people, especially ones which would be embarrassing in that environment (e.g. Strictly Come Dancing or my thoughts on LGBT issues.)
    Tough.

You don't get to decide what people do with your public Twitter page.

ReputationRep:
    Tough.

You don't get to decide what people do with your public Twitter page.
    I'm not just going to let him read my tweets out in order to humiliate me. That's all it was. He can read them to his heart's content, but nothing further.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.