Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much to save before moving out? watch

Announcements

Me and my boyfriend lived with his grandma in London so my boyfriend could attend college. However it was too hard to live there etc etc... We're back in our hometown and living with my mum as we both left London without jobs as it was a quick move.

Anyway, my boyfriend just got a job, and I am nearly there, attending interviews and applying... I already have £4000 in savings and want to get out of my mums house ASAP as I just want to live alone with my boyfriend, where I feel comfortable and don't have to hear or become involved with my mums/siblings problems etc...

I feel like since coming back home i'm back at square one cause we moved in with his mum before, but when we went to London she moved to Nepal.

I have seen online that you'd need at least 3 months rent, some money for food, furniture... If there's two of us should we still both go for £3000?
    I already have my half so when I wait for my boyfriend to save his half i'll just have more.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Me and my boyfriend lived with his grandma in London so my boyfriend could attend college. However it was too hard to live there etc etc... We're back in our hometown and living with my mum as we both left London without jobs as it was a quick move.

Anyway, my boyfriend just got a job, and I am nearly there, attending interviews and applying... I already have £4000 in savings and want to get out of my mums house ASAP as I just want to live alone with my boyfriend, where I feel comfortable and don't have to hear or become involved with my mums/siblings problems etc...

I feel like since coming back home i'm back at square one cause we moved in with his mum before, but when we went to London she moved to Nepal.

I have seen online that you'd need at least 3 months rent, some money for food, furniture... If there's two of us should we still both go for £3000?
    I already have my half so when I wait for my boyfriend to save his half i'll just have more.
    Have you looked at deposits and rental prices? To be honest if you ve got stable incomes and perhaps access to some sort of credit then an emergency fund doesn't need to be massive. I ve rented for 4 and a half years till buying last month and we never had more than a months income spare. What might cost you is furniture if you go unfurnished and you may need a guarantor whilst you aren't working if you can't offer loads of rent up front if the agents worried.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.