Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi my name is Stan and I just turned 17. I moved to NJ for my dads job and I attend a high school in Princeton. I have lived in 5 Different places throughout my childhood including NY, London, Paris, Brussels and Dublin, Ireland. It is something that I wrote about in a book about being a 3rd culture kid and that I published, I also speak fluent French. So basically moving to US has been a bit difficult because i’ve had many culture shocks, especially in the education system. In my old school we didn’t have GPAs b/ c it was an international school and the grade boundaries were lower, for example an A started from 85 percent. So when I was in that school I had mostly 85s-90s which was a good grade in my school, but when I moved to US and transferred my grades they all came out in the B range, which discouraged me a lot. My dream school is NYU and I have recently taken the SATs getting a 1490/1600. For now my GPA is a 2.8 which really breaks me down because in my old school I wasn’t a bad student it’s just the system was different and here I’m trying my best to get all A’s and B’s to boost up my GPA in senior year, how will this affect my application for good colleges in the US????
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Stanmbe123)
    Hi my name is Stan and I just turned 17. I moved to NJ for my dads job and I attend a high school in Princeton. I have lived in 5 Different places throughout my childhood including NY, London, Paris, Brussels and Dublin, Ireland. It is something that I wrote about in a book about being a 3rd culture kid and that I published, I also speak fluent French. So basically moving to US has been a bit difficult because i’ve had many culture shocks, especially in the education system. In my old school we didn’t have GPAs b/ c it was an international school and the grade boundaries were lower, for example an A started from 85 percent. So when I was in that school I had mostly 85s-90s which was a good grade in my school, but when I moved to US and transferred my grades they all came out in the B range, which discouraged me a lot. My dream school is NYU and I have recently taken the SATs getting a 1490/1600. For now my GPA is a 2.8 which really breaks me down because in my old school I wasn’t a bad student it’s just the system was different and here I’m trying my best to get all A’s and B’s to boost up my GPA in senior year, how will this affect my application for good colleges in the US????
    Hi, I've moved your thread to a more appropriate forum. I am no expert in US admissions but given your circumstances and wider experiences I suspect many universities will look past your headline scores.

I'm sure others in here will have better advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanmbe123)
    check roundpier - good resource on US colleges especially for international students

ReputationRep:
    To be completely honest with you if you were born and raised in America, no, probably not. However, your circumstances are quite special and if you can write a good essay (possibly encompassing everything in your journey in life) then maybe you have a chance. You really won't know until you try so why not? Also (I'm American and not sure if this holds true to international students) but for some schools there was a section that something along the lines "is their anything we should know/be informed of before reviewing your application?" Worst come to worst and you don't get accepted, life moves on and you will too. Also, if you're dead set on studying in America I'd apply to multiple college and have at least 2 safeties.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.