Turn on thread page Beta

Nottingham vs Sheffield vs Loughborough for computer science? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been given offers for Nottingham and Loughborough for Bsc computer science and I am waiting for Sheffield, who will hopefully give me one. I am thinking of firming Nottingham as I like it the most (not too far, good city, lots of support, good course etc) but are the other two stronger in terms of reputation or their departments?!?!

I know I shouldn’t bother with ranking but I can’t help it. Loughborough is ranked like ten unis higher than Nottingham and Sheffield is also above Nottingham. Does this mean that I am choosing the weakest uni for cs?

In terms of reputation I used to think not=sheffield > loughborough, but now I am not so sure.

If you know a lot about these unis please give me your opinions on each unis overall reputation and the strength of their departments
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    My bf is doing computer sciences at Nottingham and is very happy with the course. The school itself was voted the best school in whole uni and they seem to be very organised and helpful towards the students.

I wouldn't consider Loughborough unless you are big on sports. It's predominantly sports uni and there's big emphasis on joining a sports team there. Personally I think I'd feel a bit like an outsider since I was never good at any sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    My bf is doing computer sciences at Nottingham and is very happy with the course. The school itself was voted the best school in whole uni and they seem to be very organised and helpful towards the students.

I wouldn't consider Loughborough unless you are big on sports. It's predominantly sports uni and there's big emphasis on joining a sports team there. Personally I think I'd feel a bit like an outsider since I was never good at any sport.
    I didn’t know the school was ranked best in the uni, wow. When I was there for the offer holder day I was really impressed by the support that they had, there were tutorials and the equivalent of homework help club for first years. It seems like such a good uni so I guess I shouldn’t be swayed by the one factor of league tables.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Quarrdent,

Congratulations on your offer! Ultimately, this is a pretty nice decision to make because all three are great universities.

It comes down to personal preference. Check out the module listings and see which ones you think you'd enjoy the most. Figure out if you would prefer a city or campus university; they both have their pros and cons. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have about the more social aspects of Loughborough.

It's a common misconception that you have to be sporty to come to Loughborough. I was a student for four years here and only played sport once or twice (and that was Dodgeball) - if you're not interested in it, then you don't need to have anything to do with it. There's certainly no pressure, and it's not expected that you join a team in the slightest.

Instead, there are a huge range of societies to get involved with, as well as really close hall communities. Again, if you have any questions about this, just give me a shout!

Of course, if you ARE into your sport, then there's a huge amount on offer too.

Hope that helps!

Alex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi Quarrdent,

Congratulations on your offer! Ultimately, this is a pretty nice decision to make because all three are great universities.

It comes down to personal preference. Check out the module listings and see which ones you think you'd enjoy the most. Figure out if you would prefer a city or campus university; they both have their pros and cons. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have about the more social aspects of Loughborough.

It's a common misconception that you have to be sporty to come to Loughborough. I was a student for four years here and only played sport once or twice (and that was Dodgeball) - if you're not interested in it, then you don't need to have anything to do with it. There's certainly no pressure, and it's not expected that you join a team in the slightest.

Instead, there are a huge range of societies to get involved with, as well as really close hall communities. Again, if you have any questions about this, just give me a shout!

Of course, if you ARE into your sport, then there's a huge amount on offer too.

Hope that helps!

Alex
    Hi not OP but I too am thinking of applying to Loughborough for CS. But when I visited it on a day it felt so big and overwhelming? Do people find a close group of people through their years and what is the career support like? Do guest speakers come etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quarrdent)
    I’ve been given offers for Nottingham and Loughborough for Bsc computer science and I am waiting for Sheffield, who will hopefully give me one. I am thinking of firming Nottingham as I like it the most (not too far, good city, lots of support, good course etc) but are the other two stronger in terms of reputation or their departments?!?!

I know I shouldn’t bother with ranking but I can’t help it. Loughborough is ranked like ten unis higher than Nottingham and Sheffield is also above Nottingham. Does this mean that I am choosing the weakest uni for cs?

In terms of reputation I used to think not=sheffield > loughborough, but now I am not so sure.

If you know a lot about these unis please give me your opinions on each unis overall reputation and the strength of their departments
    I see you with the vixx pic. Anyway, im in the same situation as u i got an offer from loughborough for computing and management and nottingham for computer science. I just visited loughborough and will be visting nottingham but i am in a conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruhh2)
    I see you with the vixx pic. Anyway, im in the same situation as u i got an offer from loughborough for computing and management and nottingham for computer science. I just visited loughborough and will be visting nottingham but i am in a conflict.
    You my friend are an intellectual. Do you stan them!!???!! I didn’t expect anyone to realise the photo

I haven’t been to Loughborough at all. What is the campus like? Is it spaced out or all in one place? I know it isn’t a city so how busy is it? And how is the computer science department? Also do they give a lot of support?

I decided that I would like to put Sheffield as my insurance but seeing as they haven’t even gotten back to me I thought I would also look into Loughborough more.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an idea of what you want to do? Computer science is a huge field, so look into the specific modules offered by each of those unis. I will likely choose Sheffield over Nottingham (got into both) because at Sheffield you can choose modules that focus on speech technology and natural language processing, which are more relevant to me as I would like to explore machine translation. Check what research the unis are doing and see if they have research groups that you find particularly fascinating.
    (And by the way, I only got my Computer Science offer from Sheffield last week, so maybe yours is coming soon.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quarrdent)
    You my friend are an intellectual. Do you stan them!!???!! I didn’t expect anyone to realise the photo

I haven’t been to Loughborough at all. What is the campus like? Is it spaced out or all in one place? I know it isn’t a city so how busy is it? And how is the computer science department? Also do they give a lot of support?

I decided that I would like to put Sheffield as my insurance but seeing as they haven’t even gotten back to me I thought I would also look into Loughborough more.
    Lollll. I listen to their music for some time shangri la was my favourite an ik all the members names ravi is one of the best rappers. But anyway back to topic...

When i went to the applicant day i believe they said it is a campus uni so therefore people will be very close and they said you would probably meet someone you know multiple timea a day. The campus is giant their LSU (Student union) looks nice too. And of course their sports facilities are great.

Focusing on computer science, the building is pretty big they have macs, PCs, VR, Giant servers and networks. The computer science community seems very strong and close knit. Also if you arent good at maths they have a building and volunteers who help you with this whether its statistics or something else. Its free too i believe.

Catered is brilliant with great food too.
    Overall, the way the student union and computer science teachers look after you really show they have a passion to be there and provide the beat service and that is probably why they have one of the best student satisfaction statistics in the country.

Sorry i didnt explain too much its the morning and i have a business test and my brain is frazzled.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Bluebell1234)
    Hi not OP but I too am thinking of applying to Loughborough for CS. But when I visited it on a day it felt so big and overwhelming? Do people find a close group of people through their years and what is the career support like? Do guest speakers come etc
    Hi Bluebell1234
    It is big - but the advantage is that everything is in one place, so you get to know people really well.
    Career support is very good indeed http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/careers/ and of course we offer a placement year option on every single course which really helps with your employability. There are lots of events on throughout the year with guest speakers and lots of workshops etc.

If you need any further info, if you post over on the Loughborough forum here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5259068 then I'll see your post straight away - I missed it yesterday on this thread!
    Hope that helps
    VIcky

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.