Turn on thread page Beta

Hello
    Ive been dating this person for 9 months. Its an online relationship.

We never really paid attention to each other until we were roughly 2 or 3 months in the relationship. After this, we started taking a lot of care of each other in any way we could.

Around december I found out this person had been cheating on me with someone whom they claimed they hated, and had been dating them for almost half of the time we had been dating. When I confronted them about it, they said they would cut all ties with the person, and sent me a few messages they had shared. Alright. When i asked the person whom they had cheated with what had happened, they told me that the person i was dating had told them that I had forced them to cut them off, and they told the person to just like they werent going out anymore so I wouldnt find out. I was so mad.

My partner at the time apologized continuously and begged me to stay, said theyd change and never do it again. So i stayed.

A bit after I had found out they had been talking rubbish about me to other people and saying I was a terrible person I only cared for myself.

They kept blaming these actions on their mental health and saying they were sorry and it wouldnt ever happen again, and that they were getting better for me.

Of course, anyone would cut them out immediately. I still love them. Ive had the best time of my life while dating them, and it makes me sad that it has to end. What do i do? Do i stay with them and believe them or do i leave??

ReputationRep:
    I would leave. When you say online relationship do you mean you've never met in person, if so I would definitely leave, there is something that would strike me as so "unreal" in that.

ReputationRep:
    Leave not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    The happiness that you shared with them, was your boyfriend truly caring for you or was he pretending? I think you need to cut him off. He has lied quite a lot that you can't be sure if he is genuine, and this will cause so many problems in the future. You deserve someone who truly loves you, won't cheat on you and will be loyal and truthful to you, and this is not him. He says that the cause is mental health problems, which sounds like an excuse to me. If he is being true, he needs to get help and let you go to find your own happiness.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If it's online only, it sounds like they're stringing you along and just dating other people IRL.

Focus on you, move on.

ReputationRep:
    If someone really likes or loves you, they simply can't cheat on you, or insult you behind your back. Not worth the time or emotional investment. Tell them to go and kill someone else's time. You're better off with a dumpster than with that person.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you should leave that relationship immediately! There is no point in being in a online relationship where, I'm just assuming you guys have never met before, and than on top of that he cheated on you and lied to you. Those are red flags and you should end it as soon as possible and focus on yourself and find someone who will appreciate you.

ReputationRep:
    You loved the time you had with them online? Cut the ties and end it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can do better. They haven't treated you very well.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Sometimes things come to an end and in this case it should. He cheated on you and then talked crap behind your back, you shouldn't stay with someone like that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.