Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year of uni and not really enjoying my time. I was feeling really stressed when applying to UCAS and was really pleased to get accepted by this university. And since one of my friends was going there too I felt it wouldn't be hard to fit in.
    The first sign of things going badly was that a lot of the students seemed really immature and were not willing to try and learn. We were asked to do a simple task but the majority of people just seemed to want to mess around and we didn't even complete the task at the end.
    On top of this the tutors seemed really uninterested in workshop sessions, one in particular would get up and leave the classroom after maybe 5-10 min and then people would go back to messing around like kids.
    By semester 2 I was utterly fed up of the teaching standards, half the people had quit the course by now but things carried on the same. I felt like every lesson and lecture was a waste of time and because I had to travel over 2 hours I decided to skip a lot of classes and work from home. I actually achieved way more quality of work at home than I did in uni but my attendance was slipping. I raised this with my tutor but he didn't seem to want to care or was way to busy to help.

Now the issue is that I asked about moving to another university and they require an academic reference. I emailed my tutor but hes being unresponsive. I'd really like to go to a uni that isn't so far away and where I can actually concentrate on my work and get a better education.
    I feel like I've wasted so much time and money here and in the end I'm just going to fail and come out with nothing to show for it.
    Without a reference is there anyway for this to happen or am I just screwed? .

ReputationRep:
    How long ago did you email your tutor? It might be possible that he is busy to give you a reply. I would wait a few more days and then try again. If this option doesn't work, Is there another lecturer who would be willing to give you a reference who is more reliable?

It is not uncommon for students to be dissatisfied with teaching style and drop out to find a uni and course that suits them better. Try to do a lot of research into the uni you want to go to (would you be doing the same degree?) and information about the course, facilities and teaching style.

ReputationRep:
    What university and course is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    How long ago did you email your tutor? It might be possible that he is busy to give you a reply. I would wait a few more days and then try again. If this option doesn't work, Is there another lecturer who would be willing to give you a reference who is more reliable?

It is not uncommon for students to be dissatisfied with teaching style and drop out to find a uni and course that suits them better. Try to do a lot of research into the uni you want to go to (would you be doing the same degree?) and information about the course, facilities and teaching style.
    I got a reply which was basically 'No why should I?' I'm trying another tutor now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighFructose)
    What university and course is this?
    Sorry I don't want to say in case they try to throw me out. I found out they are one of the worst with a 70% graduation rate though .

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.