A Level shocking grades Watch

Sadiii01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So my class just got our Edexcel IAL jan 2018 grades today and WE WERE ALL SO SHOCKED!!! All of us who used score A*’s and A’s in GCSE’s scored B’s, C’s, and even D’s in A Level. Those who used to score B’s and C’s scored E’s and U’s. We are completely shocked.

Is A Level marking really THAT strict?
Is it because we did not take it seriously enough? But that’s not possible because we tried our full best. ALL OF US. Even our teachers were completely surprised.

Is it always like that?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Are you in year 12? If so, then yes, it's completely normal to get much lower grades at the beginning of A level than you got at GCSE. Once you start to become more familiar with the new assessment style (and the content itself), then your grades will probably start to pick up.
FlintofBavaria
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
My school's maths A level class all got two grades lower than expected and most were kicked off the course. It's nothing new.
Lily048
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Sadiii01)
So my class just got our Edexcel IAL jan 2018 grades today and WE WERE ALL SO SHOCKED!!! All of us who used score A*’s and A’s in GCSE’s scored B’s, C’s, and even D’s in A Level. Those who used to score B’s and C’s scored E’s and U’s. We are completely shocked.

Is A Level marking really THAT strict?
Is it because we did not take it seriously enough? But that’s not possible because we tried our full best. ALL OF US. Even our teachers were completely surprised.

Is it always like that?
Whatever grade you got at GCSE I’d say drop that by 2 grades and that’s what you’re realistically working at. It’s a massive jump and one that most people underestimate. I personally found that there were certain things at alevel you had to do in order to get a certain grade that weren’t the same at GCSE: eg use a specific word or wording, structure and formatting are different for different questions, methods of going about answering a question, more verbose use of language, etc.
It’s scary at first when you get those grades back but it’s to make it known to the students that you won’t get by working at GCSE level anymore, shock to the system
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (162)
26.87%
No (441)
73.13%

Watched Threads