Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi..any one having any idea about PhD programs at southampton.is there only 03 years PhD research or does university also offers 04 years PhD in which 01 year is course work and 03 years research? I am not talking about MS leading to PhD programs.The reason is that I have done masters and applied for PhD at southampton.my organization has assured me that they will fund my phd for 04 years duration.Dyring my interview with supervisot,he suggested that I do 01 year master and then 03 years PhD(research) but I told him that my organization will not fund masters again only Phd whether it's just 3 years research or 01 year coursework also.practically 04 year PhD or 01 year master and 03 year PhD is same.my supervisor told me that there is a provision of 04 year PhD at southampton.is it really so or is it master leafing to PhD he is talking about because if he uses the word masters in admission offer ,my organization will not fund it only the PhD.can anyone help me here?

ReputationRep:
    In most UK universities, a PhD is 3 years full time (sometimes people go over this time but usually you can't go more than 1 year over without failing or requiring special circumstances). Many universities offer a 1+3 model where you do the 1 year Masters first then a PhD (as long as you progress OK from the Masters). Southampton offers both, but you would have to contact the particular department and supervisor for full details of the specific opportunities available.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Firstly, congratulations on choosing Southampton! You will have a fantastic time.

Yes, Southampton offer an integrated four-year PhD where the first year is taught courses and then three years of research (the thesis phase). This is different to the 1+3 MSc/PhD track, and sounds exactly like what you are after.

See the link:
    https://www.southampton.ac.uk/econom...economics.page

Please let me know if you have any other questions on studying economics at Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.I was also sure that Southampton offers integrated.my potentiol supervisor also told me that,however, a few days ago my supervisor emailed me that " our admission team has advised that integrated PhD is not possible.i suggest you consider applying for a masters.when u have the offer ,I would be happy to give u a conditional PhD offer subject to clearing masters with above 60 percentage average".I don't understand why he saying like that.i have the funding,I have the proposal and he previously agreed that I should apply when I told him my cgpa in masters is low(2.6)..I was banking on him but recently after receiving his last mail,I have not only lost chance of admission but also my funding opportunity from organization since I had to confirm admission to my organization by mid of march and now I have nothing in hand.isnt this unfair because if gpa was the problem them my supervisor should have stoppede from applying right in the first place!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by node11)
    Thanks for your reply.I was also sure that Southampton offers integrated.my potentiol supervisor also told me that,however, a few days ago my supervisor emailed me that " our admission team has advised that integrated PhD is not possible.i suggest you consider applying for a masters.when u have the offer ,I would be happy to give u a conditional PhD offer subject to clearing masters with above 60 percentage average".I don't understand why he saying like that.i have the funding,I have the proposal and he previously agreed that I should apply when I told him my cgpa in masters is low(2.6)..I was banking on him but recently after receiving his last mail,I have not only lost chance of admission but also my funding opportunity from organization since I had to confirm admission to my organization by mid of march and now I have nothing in hand.isnt this unfair because if gpa was the problem them my supervisor should have stoppede from applying right in the first place!!!
    By the sounds of it, it is out of your potential supervisor's hands. As he states, "our admission team has advised that integrated PhD is not possible", which is a very different team.

To be fair, it maybe the case that university is in the process of withdrawing the program. To my knowledge, no one has actually enrolled on it, often preferring to do a separate MSc and PhD (because with the integrated PhD, you do not obtain an MSc or anything for completing the taught component). Likewise, I know they are in the process of phasing out the integrated Master of Economics degree.

Out of curiosity, who was your potential supervisor?

ReputationRep:
    I think you are right.my supervisor was Dr Halak basel.actually the mistake lies more on my part and supervisor than admission team because my supervisor was from different field and my Masters was in different field so I believe he should have advised me to choose supervsipr from relevant field right in the start but since he said "your back ground is suitable" that's why I proceeded.anyway what's done is in the past.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.