Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied for 2018 entry into mathematics but got rejected after pooling due to poor interview performance (I was way too nervous, I couldn't even do induction properly). I have an offer from Imperial and I wanted to go until I saw that very few people (in some years 0) at Imperial got S grades in STEP II and III. Personally as an international student, I am going to be paying a lot so I really want to go to the best place I can get a place at. I think I could probably manage an S or at the very least a 1 in both STEP II and III having done a few past papers and I am wondering with those STEP grades, will I have a strong chance of getting an offer this time around?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ttzero13)
    I applied for 2018 entry into mathematics but got rejected after pooling due to poor interview performance (I was way too nervous, I couldn't even do induction properly). I have an offer from Imperial and I wanted to go until I saw that very few people (in some years 0) at Imperial got S grades in STEP II and III. Personally as an international student, I am going to be paying a lot so I really want to go to the best place I can get a place at. I think I could probably manage an S or at the very least a 1 in both STEP II and III having done a few past papers and I am wondering with those STEP grades, will I have a strong chance of getting an offer this time around?

I assume you get feedback on your application? It may have been nerves but do also remember that not everyone suits our supervision style of teaching and the interviews are how we assess this. However the fact thatyou were pooled means that your interviewers did think that you could cope with the Cambridge course and may have the potential to do well here.

You would be a strong applicant if indeed you did achieve S1 but you might want to wait and see what grades you do achieve before making any firm plans. Gap years can also sometimes be a problem in mathematics, so make sure you have a plan for how to keep your maths skills sharp.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.