Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, last year I was on anti-depressants for a couple of months because I had blocked out all my childhood/teen problems for many years, and it hit a point that I couldnt ignore it anymore.
    I went off tablets on my own accord and I've felt fantastic since coming off them.

I've applied for the RAF and I'm desperate to be accepted - I know the lifestyle and how challenging it is because of friends and exes.

What are my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiiamalex)
    Hello, last year I was on anti-depressants for a couple of months because I had blocked out all my childhood/teen problems for many years, and it hit a point that I couldnt ignore it anymore.
    I went off tablets on my own accord and I've felt fantastic since coming off them.

I've applied for the RAF and I'm desperate to be accepted - I know the lifestyle and how challenging it is because of friends and exes.

What are my chances?
    Read the information on the pdf found at this link: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...kAbFq_JjJaoqa1

In particular, the following section:

"Psychiatric disorders:
    Current psychiatric illness
    Depressive disorders with or without treatment of any form in the last 3 years or 2 or more episodes in the last 4 years, or 3 episodes at any time."

The fact that you came off the medication yourself, rather than at the guidance of the doctors, could lend weight to the notion that your condition is still current.
    Even if it wasn't, I think you fall foul of the second part at the moment.

You might need to wait a while to become eligible.

However, the only way you'll know for sure is to begin an application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiiamalex)

What are my chances?
    If you mention that in your medical there is no chance you will pass in that specific examination, you will almost definitely be made TMU until you meet the requirements.

At various points in your career you will be handed an SA80 with live rounds in it, not ideal if you’ve got mental health problems.

However if this is genuinely not an issue anymore, or you were misdiagnosed (there’s a difference between depression and simply feeling down because of certain circumstances) the capita doctor will only make their decision based on what YOU tell them.

If they have no reason to look at your medical records, then they won’t.

Take from that what you will, but if you didn’t disclose it and then they had a reason to look further down the line, the consequences would likely mean discharge from the service (or not, based on the current recruitment and retention issues) like I said...take from that what you will.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.