Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have researched well enough only the med schools I applied to this year, so can only comment on those:

UCL - offers an MBPhD
    St George's - teaches using both PBL and CBL
    Cardiff - clinical placements in rural Wales
    Bart's - has the oldest hospital in the UK

Let's have a full list of med schools and characteristics that make them stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahad27)
    I have researched well enough only the med schools I applied to this year, so can only comment on those:

UCL - offers an MBPhD
    St George's - teaches using both PBL and CBL
    Cardiff - clinical placements in rural Wales
    Bart's - has the oldest hospital in the UK

Not correct, we do this too!
    Also, other courses uses PBL/CBL combo too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swansea Medic)
    Not correct, we do this too!
    Also, other courses uses PBL/CBL combo too...
    Oh well, than we need to find something else that makes the two medical schools unique.

Cardiff - Rural Health Day for Year 2 students
    The Welsh Ambulance Service simulates a serious road traffic accident in an isolated area, providing students with valuable experience in the challenges emergency services face in rural communities.

St George's - 24 Hours in A&E is located at St George's Hospital

Can you tell me something about Swansea medical school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahad27)
    Oh well, than we need to find something else that makes the two medical schools unique.

Cardiff - Rural Health Day for Year 2 students
    The Welsh Ambulance Service simulates a serious road traffic accident in an isolated area, providing students with valuable experience in the challenges emergency services face in rural communities.

St George's - 24 Hours in A&E is located at St George's Hospital

Can you tell me something about Swansea medical school?
    Yeah sure, it's awesome! I'll leave you to do your own research...it's an important skill for a future doctor

Spoiler:
    Show

Btw, there are other schools which offer MBPhDs...and that is still not unique to Cardiff. If you're interested in Swansea, I post almost exclusively about it so look through my posts.

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    UEA 3rd year here

We have a PBL-based course and the thing I like best is our early patient contact starting from week 1 of medical school!

Instead of doing first half of the degree in lectures and then clinical years, we cover a body system such as orthopaedics or cardiology and then get a 4 week placement at the end of the module to see everything we've learnt in actual practice (through ward rounds, clinics, surgery). We also have primary care every week so as we cover different topics of the module (e.g. heart failure, coronary artery disease) we get to take histories and examine patients who have had these conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep)
    UEA 3rd year here

We have a PBL-based course and the thing I like best is our early patient contact starting from week 1 of medical school!

Instead of doing first half of the degree in lectures and then clinical years, we cover a body system such as orthopaedics or cardiology and then get a 4 week placement at the end of the module to see everything we've learnt in actual practice (through ward rounds, clinics, surgery). We also have primary care every week so as we cover different topics of the module (e.g. heart failure, coronary artery disease) we get to take histories and examine patients who have had these conditions.
    WOW! An official rep!!...do you get paid?

Spoiler:
    Show

Ach y fi, it burns!!!:headfire: Get that PBL away from me!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.