The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Uni life at East Anglia?

This’ll sound bad but I cannot find time to visit an open/ applicant day, especially because the journey is really far (almost 5 hours by car).

I’d like to know what uni / city life is like? Nearest places for entertainment, general surroungs etc. I’m not a party animal but I do like shopping malls. Just a bit worried because my cousin went to UEA and has warned me that it’s really dead.
Original post by Anygy
This’ll sound bad but I cannot find time to visit an open/ applicant day, especially because the journey is really far (almost 5 hours by car).

I’d like to know what uni / city life is like? Nearest places for entertainment, general surroungs etc. I’m not a party animal but I do like shopping malls. Just a bit worried because my cousin went to UEA and has warned me that it’s really dead.

That's ok, I didn't visit UEA until quite late too but I've been here for 3 years now so I'll try to help.

UEA as a campus is based 10-15 minute bus ride outside of the main city centre and has a friendly university vibe with a student bar, sportspark (swimming pool and gym), campus shop and canteen.

The town has a different atmosphere to that of the campus but again very vibrant - we have a Chapelfield for all the main clothing stores and a big market in centre of town as well! Norwich also has a ton of decent local restaurants and bars too which leads into the lively prince of Wales street which is the main strip for nights out!

It's quite difficult to summarise an entire city and it's vibe in 1 post but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
As a current first year UEA student, I'm not finding it dead at all! The city is really nice, its an old city with two shopping malls and a wide variety of shops, I go into the city as often as I can! On campus there is a student bar as well as a club, which is the best club around in my opinion :smile: The cinema in the city is brilliant, £4.99 for every film, and there is a castle as well as loads of other things to do.

The campus itself is set on wonderful grounds, my accommodation is right by the lake which has beautiful views. I'm also next to the building marvel used as the avengers HQ, which my nerdy self loves. I suppose there are much more party universities, and living in a big city and then coming to UEA may make one consider it to be "dead," but I'm not so sure. I live in a town of 33,000, and I think it is plenty busy around Norwich. Norwich itself is only a 15 min bus ride, with cheap tickets for students, as well as a rail station (tickets are super cheap with trainline if you also have a railcard which I would highly recommend!) Most of my friends did not attend the open day, but love it here all the same. Honestly, I love UEA. I personally couldn't have picked a better uni. I hope this helps! Ps. I swear the uni didn't pay me to write this lol!
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
That's ok, I didn't visit UEA until quite late too but I've been here for 3 years now so I'll try to help.

UEA as a campus is based 10-15 minute bus ride outside of the main city centre and has a friendly university vibe with a student bar, sportspark (swimming pool and gym), campus shop and canteen.

The town has a different atmosphere to that of the campus but again very vibrant - we have a Chapelfield for all the main clothing stores and a big market in centre of town as well! Norwich also has a ton of decent local restaurants and bars too which leads into the lively prince of Wales street which is the main strip for nights out!

It's quite difficult to summarise an entire city and it's vibe in 1 post but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

Thanks for the info!! This may sound random and yes, I am THAT clueless about the surroundings, but is the area mainly very countryside-y? If it puts it into perspective, all my other Uni choices are in central London; I'm more of a city person, so I am worried that it'll just be endless fields and dirt lanes lol....

Is the town quite city-like? Or is it still relatively small and calm?

And if you happen to know, it's alright if you don't, if there's an ice rink nearby? It's just a hobby :colondollar:
Original post by Emilyymay_x
As a current first year UEA student, I'm not finding it dead at all! The city is really nice, its an old city with two shopping malls and a wide variety of shops, I go into the city as often as I can! On campus there is a student bar as well as a club, which is the best club around in my opinion :smile: The cinema in the city is brilliant, £4.99 for every film, and there is a castle as well as loads of other things to do.

The campus itself is set on wonderful grounds, my accommodation is right by the lake which has beautiful views. I'm also next to the building marvel used as the avengers HQ, which my nerdy self loves. I suppose there are much more party universities, and living in a big city and then coming to UEA may make one consider it to be "dead," but I'm not so sure. I live in a town of 33,000, and I think it is plenty busy around Norwich. Norwich itself is only a 15 min bus ride, with cheap tickets for students, as well as a rail station (tickets are super cheap with trainline if you also have a railcard which I would highly recommend!) Most of my friends did not attend the open day, but love it here all the same. Honestly, I love UEA. I personally couldn't have picked a better uni. I hope this helps! Ps. I swear the uni didn't pay me to write this lol!

Haha that definitely makes sense, I grew up in London (as did my cousin) so I suppose that's probably why she thinks of it as "dead." And always good to hear that there's a cinema! Would you say that the shopping malls are pretty big? I do like a lot of shopping.........:h:

As a side note, my sister goes to Royal Holloway which is technically part of London. She also told me that it was really dead (idk maybe my family just hates Uni) and having visited Royal Holloway, it just had... honestly, kind of dead vibes lmao. Hard to describe. But I wonder if it'll be the same...
Original post by Anygy
Thanks for the info!! This may sound random and yes, I am THAT clueless about the surroundings, but is the area mainly very countryside-y? If it puts it into perspective, all my other Uni choices are in central London; I'm more of a city person, so I am worried that it'll just be endless fields and dirt lanes lol....

Is the town quite city-like? Or is it still relatively small and calm?

And if you happen to know, it's alright if you don't, if there's an ice rink nearby? It's just a hobby :colondollar:

Norwich itself isn't countryside like you'd think (i.e. fields and forests) although the outskirts while driving into Norfolk seem that way. The city isn't as busy as central London as you'd probably have guessed but nonetheless it has a large shopping centre and lots to do!

I'm not sure about any ice rinks but I had a quick search for you and came across this. Turns out they go ice skating in Peterborough with transport provided by the club!
Original post by Anygy
Haha that definitely makes sense, I grew up in London (as did my cousin) so I suppose that's probably why she thinks of it as "dead." And always good to hear that there's a cinema! Would you say that the shopping malls are pretty big? I do like a lot of shopping.........:h:

As a side note, my sister goes to Royal Holloway which is technically part of London. She also told me that it was really dead (idk maybe my family just hates Uni) and having visited Royal Holloway, it just had... honestly, kind of dead vibes lmao. Hard to describe. But I wonder if it'll be the same...

I grew up in London and went to UEA and didn't find either the campus or city of Norwich to be dead at all. In terms of shopping Chapelfield isn't masive but there are lots of shops just outside it and another shopping centre, Castle Mall, nearby. I can't think of any shops I would find in London that I couldn't find in Norwich.

LCR is the best club around? Are you high every time you go or something?

what accommodation are you in??
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending