Turn on thread page Beta

Student subjected to racist abuse at Nottingham Trent University watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    No she didn't - she reported it to the hall reception in the early hours of Tuesday morning when it happened (which she described as Monday night).
    Ah! I read Tuesday morning as Tuesday morning and Monday night as Monday night. My mistake. She would still have been better calling 999 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akr123)
    Welcome to Brexit Britain ladies and gentlemen.....
    I always thought this was nonsense, but this is where I understand...

I mean, this is just giving me the creeps, it's literally causing physical revulsion.

I find overt racists who just state their positions much less sinister. Indeed, some of these even reform and reform honestly.

It's the insidious, mass complicity in the respectable, tide turning in ordinary mainstream people and looking the other way, diversions, denial- all have the hallmarks of the 1930's.

Not saying it's reached that but the echoes are creepy.

Even the BBC supposedly wildly 'left' (It isn't it's 'liberal' , completely different thing) and their anchorwoman this morning framed this as; (aggressive tone) to the girl- 'What did you expect them to do?'. Not what did you think they would do? Or what do you think the should do?

And recall Amber Rudd and the proposed foreign worker 'lists'?

This country only ever loved 'diversity' when it was part of a large mass of exploitable Labour it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Can you not see the contradiction in what you write? How can they deal with what is not reported? 999 is the most appropriate place to report a violent incident while it is happening.
    That was a typing mistake on my part. I meant police don't always deal with racist incidents. I know this from anecdotal reports, there are even people sharing their accounts on twitter today.

ReputationRep:
    Bet they did Business
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Are you oblivious to their record on cover ups and corruption, infiltration, politicization? UK police are corrupt amd have huge problems with institutional racism.

Anyone would trust a Uni first.

But regardless, I still find your insistence on this detour very creepy and suspect, it's like you're trying to do something Kafkaesque and insidious to her and taking the focus from where it should be.
    Exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I question whether it's genuine racism or these guys think they're hilarious. I mean some weird stuff goes on in our Unis, lads giving each other a bit of cheeky bum fun whilst still actually being hetero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    it is quite often in previously pretty balanced, fair people, which makes it more concerning.
    I think this is interesting.

As a black person I have to say, I've always been aware of prejudice and racism, I've experienced it and also know many people who have experienced it.

What's always been interesting is how fair and balanced people, e.g. colleagues often seem unaware of how there can be differences in how a person of colour is treated differently from them.

Since Brexit, racism and prejudice are finally coming to the forefront and maybe those balanced and fair people would rather default to putting the victim in the wrong? I have to wonder whether these fair and balanced people have always been aware of these differences, but chose to turn a blind eye? Just thinking out loud...

It's a shame that it's taken Brexit to bring them to the forefront.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    Sometimes I question whether it's genuine racism or these guys think they're hilarious. I mean some weird stuff goes on in our Unis, lads giving each other a bit of cheeky bum fun whilst still actually being hetero.
    Hurtful comments about another person's race or any other biologically defining characteristics are not funny, they are thuggish, intimidating and ignorant. furthermore.

Can you step into that girl's shoes for a minute and think about how that must have felt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Hurtful comments about another person's race or any other biologically defining characteristics are not funny, they are thuggish, intimidating and ignorant. furthermore.

Can you step into that girl's shoes for a minute and think about how that must have felt?
    Well I'm black and I work in a warehouse where racism is considered banter and I've had groups of lads say all sorts to me, even though none of them are serious it's made some people around me feel extremely uncomfortable. So yes I can. If that isn't enough, I also support Millwall and whilst we've cleaned our act up over the past decade, there's always a few that wanna try and give me **** for being black in the stands.

Also in 2018 the oppression goes both ways, you've got black people including celebrities saying the most obscene disgusting comments about white folks (hell, Chris Rock made a career out of it, and so did Louis Farrakhan), barely anyone cares. If it goes in the opposite direction it's instantaneously front page news. The same will go for most British workplaces now-a-days, a black person will win at a tribunal over racism vs a white person any day, for the sake of political correctness.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Fruli)
    As someone already mentioned, people are entering university with DDD these days. That speaks a lot.
    Why are you implying that people who do poorer academically are more likely to be racist?

Racist events happen even at 'elite' universities and there are plenty of highly educated people who have shared racist comments (James Watson is the first that comes to mind).

Racism is based on a variety of factors. While racist beliefs are highly unacademic and normally based on ignorance, reducing it as you have to the idea that people who do poorer in exams are less likely to be racist isn't accurate.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm black and I work in a warehouse where racism is considered banter and I've had groups of lads say all sorts to me, even though none of them are serious it's made some people around me feel extremely uncomfortable. So yes I can. If that isn't enough, I also support Millwall and whilst we've cleaned our act up over the past decade, there's always a few that wanna try and give me **** for being black in the stands.
    Well, good on you for being more thick-skinned than I and the victim in the video.

But I will tell you from personal experience that racism and prejudice hurts. I'm better at dealing with it now and it's helped shape my character, but I wasn't always able to deal with it in a positive way.

If you enjoy racist banter then good for you. However, I imagine you are an outlier amongst other people of colour, and if you don't mind, some of us will continue to speak out against racism.

I'm also glad not to be exposed to the type of environments you seem to enjoy being in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Why are you implying that people who do poorer academically are more likely to be racist?

Racist events happen even at 'elite' universities and there are plenty of highly educated people who have shared racist comments (James Watson is the first that comes to mind).

Racism is based on a variety of factors. While racist beliefs are highly unacademic and normally based on ignorance, reducing it as you have to the idea that people who do poorer in exams are less likely to be racist isn't accurate.
    Point taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Well, good on you for being more thick-skinned than I and the victim in the video.

But I will tell you from personal experience that racism and prejudice hurts. I'm better at dealing with it now and it's helped shape my character, but I wasn't always able to deal with it in a positive way.

If you enjoy racist banter then good for you. However, I imagine you a possibly an outlier amongst other people of colour, and if you don't mind, some of us will continue to speak out against racism.
    I like a bit of dark humor, but for me the fun stops when the person actually means it. I've lived in Italy where the most popular parties are the right wing ones, if you want to see what racism looks like from people who aren't joking, just go and spend a few years in Lazio or Sardinia, I promise you'll find an experience far less tame than back in the UK. I'm not saying racism and prejudice doesn't happen here, but the scale is often blown way out of proportion especially now that there's a bit of money in it.

Person in the video didn't deserve to experience that, but that by no means decides that you can miss the point I was trying to make as to whether they're genuine racists or just being idiots. I also proclaim as a whole, the Uni culture in general in the UK is deplorable anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)

Do you get to decide what is funny or not? do you get to decide how these comments affect everyone? No you do not.

'Racist' jokes can be funny, me and a few friends that are from different parts of the world make jokes all the time about eachother and we understand that it is just a bit of fun. Not to say that this means it is 100% ok all the time just that it is not as black and white as it is always wrong or always right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Do you get to decide what is funny or not? do you get to decide how these comments affect everyone? No you do not.

'Racist' jokes can be funny, me and a few friends that are from different parts of the world make jokes all the time about eachother and we understand that it is just a bit of fun. Not to say that this means it is 100% ok all the time just that it is not as black and white as it is always wrong or always right
    Good for you.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick university had a similar incident but with students writing racial slurs and the word monkey on bananas in a shared accommodation at the campus. Reading this thread and twitter all the faux outrage and shock from people pretending like this behaviour is new or not commonplace at many universities in the UK makes me slightly angry. BME students deal with microaggressions all the time and it is time something was done about privileged students expressing racist and discriminatory views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    'Racist' jokes can be funny
    Absolutely not. I hope the moderators on this forum condemn posts like this one that are attempting to normal racism under the deceitful guise of 'banter' and free speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haviland-Tuf)
    Warwick university had a similar incident but with students writing racial slurs and the word monkey on bananas in a shared accommodation at the campus. Reading this thread and twitter all the faux outrage and shock from people pretending like this behaviour is new or not commonplace at many universities in the UK makes me slightly angry. BME students deal with microaggressions all the time and it is time something was done about privileged white students expressing racist and discriminatory views.
    I totally agree.

I mean, I started the thread exploration and some of the views I had at the start have shifted, namely that racism is found in lower ranking universities and amongst the less affluent. It's not true.

The more affluent are possibly better at hiding their racism, which is more worrying than those who overtly show their racism.

ReputationRep:
    I like a bit of dark humor, but for me the fun stops when the person actually means it. I've lived in Italy where the most popular parties are the right wing ones, if you want to see what racism looks like from people who aren't joking, just go and spend a few years in Lazio or Sardinia, I promise you'll find an experience far less tame than back in the UK. I'm not saying racism and prejudice doesn't happen here, but the scale is often blown way out of proportion especially now that there's a bit of money in it.

Person in the video didn't deserve to experience that, but that by no means decides that you can miss the point I was trying to make as to whether they're genuine racists or just being idiots. I also proclaim as a whole, the Uni culture in general in the UK is deplorable anyway.
    Well, I'm ever so glad I'm not and hopefully will never have to be exposed to your type of circles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haviland-Tuf)
    Warwick university had a similar incident but with students writing racial slurs and the word monkey on bananas in a shared accommodation at the campus. Reading this thread and twitter all the faux outrage and shock from people pretending like this behaviour is new or not commonplace at many universities in the UK makes me slightly angry. BME students deal with microaggressions all the time and it is time something was done about privileged white students expressing racist and discriminatory views.
    But it is not commonplace, when there is a racist incident it is often right on the news and ends up with severe punishment, and if you think that racism is a white thing then think again, go ask an angry pakistani what he thinks of indians, go talk to a Peruvian person and ask their opinions on chile, see what the Japanese think of the chinese (Obviously it is not everyone) it is certainly not a white only thing and things are clearly being done about these issues

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.