Turn on thread page Beta

Student subjected to racist abuse at Nottingham Trent University watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    There isn't any definitive "research data."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/09/...grant-feeling/
    What you’ve just done there is provided me with a link to an interepretation from a news outlet. It’s no no different to providing me with an article from the daily mail. A link to the spectator is not research.

I look at research findings from the source and those sources tend to be reputable research publications, that have been peer reviewed. In this instance I will trust research from the Institute of Race Relations, not the Spectator, Daily Mail or other media outlet that will put it’s own spin on research reports.

The rise of race incidents post Brexit is undeniable and data does not lie. However the cause and effect is fully yet to be established.

Extract from your spectator magazine:

‘The figures have to be considered in the context of rising reports of ‘hate crime’ since it was first introduced as a category of crime five years ago. In 2013/14 there were 44,577 hate crimes, followed by 52,465 in 2014/15 and 62,518 in 2015/16. Interestingly, the figures have spiked in July each year, perhaps as people take advantage of long evenings to spend more time on the street. If Britons have been becoming more hateful over the past few years it is a trend which began long before the EU referendum’

Whole load of speculation based on figures, it proves nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    What you’ve just done there is provided me with a link to an interepretation from a news outlet. It’s no no different to providing me with an article from the daily mail. A link to the spectator is not research.

I look at research findings from the source and those sources tend to be reputable research publications, that have been peer reviewed. In this instance I will trust research from the Institute of Race Relations, not the Spectator, Daily Mail or other media outlet that will put it’s own spin on research reports.

The rise of race incidents post Brexit is undeniable and data does not lie. However the cause and effect is fully yet to be established.

Extract from your spectator magazine:

‘The figures have to be considered in the context of rising reports of ‘hate crime’ since it was first introduced as a category of crime five years ago. In 2013/14 there were 44,577 hate crimes, followed by 52,465 in 2014/15 and 62,518 in 2015/16. Interestingly, the figures have spiked in July each year, perhaps as people take advantage of long evenings to spend more time on the street. If Britons have been becoming more hateful over the past few years it is a trend which began long before the EU referendum’

Whole load of speculation based on figures, it proves nothing.
    The Institute of Race Relations is a far left Think Thank. If you want a body that puts "speculation" and "spin" on figures (let alone the creation of them) look no further.

But this gets us nowhere. Let's admit that there has actually been a huge spike in Hate Crime Incidents (I don't actually, but let's do so for the sake of argument), you yourself admit the "cause and effect" for this alleged phenomenon is yet to be fully established. So how, if this is the case, can you blame Brexit?

ReputationRep:
    Im a black student at Nottingham Trent university, the reason why they get a slap on the wrist is because racist behaviour at the university is condoned by tutors and our university leaders. The majority of the tutors (if not all) are white and so is the student help and even the equality and diverse team (not including student equality and diversity team). You cant expect people to be against something they've never experienced or are still indirectly condoning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antoine27)
    Im a black student at Nottingham Trent university, the reason why they get a slap on the wrist is because racist behaviour at the university is condoned by tutors and our university leaders. The majority of the tutors (if not all) are white and so is the student help and even the equality and diverse team (not including student equality and diversity team). You cant expect people to be against something they've never experienced or are still indirectly condoning.
    Wow the majority of them are white!

Who would have thought the majority of employees at a company could be white in a white majority nation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Wow the majority of them are white!

Who would have thought the majority of employees at a company could be white in a white majority nation.
    your ignorance is not worth an intellectual defence, your reality and mine are different. lets agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antoine27)
    your ignorance is not worth an intellectual defence, your reality and mine are different. lets agree to disagree.
    Yep my melatonin makes all the difference, I get given my own butler, a million pounds and a get out of jail free pass when a birth certificate is registered.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    So much for freedom of speech... even if what they are saying is vile.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.