Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, my name is Nerd9797 I found these forums through recommendation from a friend and am here today to get some advice / information regarding University and courses involving Science / Medicine / Medical Science

I am 23 yrs old and have been out of education for a few years, my favourite subjects at school were mainly ICT and Science so I am researching courses in both of these areas however i'm a little stumped when it comes to medical sciences .
    My interests in the medical sciences has been largely inflated over the more recent months as a close family member of mine has been diagnosed with terminal cancer & this in turn has led me to looking into courses that could lead to working in some form of cancer research to help prevent this from happening to other peoples families.

What I would like to ask today is what kind of University courses are offered in the Science / medical fields that could lead to working within the Cancer research industry, since I've only limited knowledge to go on currently all the courses I have currently found are:
    BSc Medical science
    BSc Med Sci (Hons)
    and other differently structured forms of this title, since i'm unfamiliar with university terminology I'm assuming these are undergraduate courses for people who have never been to university before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I know this is kind of long since I tend to ramble abit so my thanks to anyone who took the time to read through all this, hope you all have a good day.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nerd9797)
    Hi there, my name is Nerd9797 I found these forums through recommendation from a friend and am here today to get some advice / information regarding University and courses involving Science / Medicine / Medical Science

I am 23 yrs old and have been out of education for a few years, my favourite subjects at school were mainly ICT and Science so I am researching courses in both of these areas however i'm a little stumped when it comes to medical sciences .
    My interests in the medical sciences has been largely inflated over the more recent months as a close family member of mine has been diagnosed with terminal cancer & this in turn has led me to looking into courses that could lead to working in some form of cancer research to help prevent this from happening to other peoples families.

What I would like to ask today is what kind of University courses are offered in the Science / medical fields that could lead to working within the Cancer research industry, since I've only limited knowledge to go on currently all the courses I have currently found are:
    BSc Medical science
    BSc Med Sci (Hons)
    and other differently structured forms of this title, since i'm unfamiliar with university terminology I'm assuming these are undergraduate courses for people who have never been to university before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I know this is kind of long since I tend to ramble abit so my thanks to anyone who took the time to read through all this, hope you all have a good day.
    What qualifications do you currently have? You can apply for a bachelors degree if you have the equivalent of A levels though some alternative qualifications are also accepted. At this stage do something like medical or biomedical sciences and you can explore your interests.

ReputationRep:
    I was abit of an immature goof back in the day & while I'm not stupid I didn't study much & feel that this was reflected in my grades
    I had totaled 9 GCSE's with Eng/Math/Sci grades of D/D/C respectively (2010)
    following on from that I continued straight into college;
    at College I studied in A-Level ICT, BTEC Medical science and Independent financial studies (2012)

Shortly after I left College I was able to do Functional Skills for english and maths to improve on my initial GCSE grades so im completed everything that was offered from Entry level 1-3 to Level 1 & 2 & from what I have gathered from information online a Functional skills Level 2 is supposedly equivalent to a B grade (2014)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nerd9797)
    I was abit of an immature goof back in the day & while I'm not stupid I didn't study much & feel that this was reflected in my grades
    I had totaled 9 GCSE's with Eng/Math/Sci grades of D/D/C respectively (2010)
    following on from that I continued straight into college;
    at College I studied in A-Level ICT, BTEC Medical science and Independent financial studies (2012)

Shortly after I left College I was able to do Functional Skills for english and maths to improve on my initial GCSE grades so im completed everything that was offered from Entry level 1-3 to Level 1 & 2 & from what I have gathered from information online a Functional skills Level 2 is supposedly equivalent to a B grade (2014)
    You’ll have to look at uni webpages and maybe contact them to see if you are eligible to apply or what you have to do to make yourself eligible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.