Turn on thread page Beta

Gap Year Travel Advice? Cheap Rental Accommodation watch

ReputationRep:
    So I am going on my gap year travels this year and I am seeking some advice on how to save money on my accommodation, looking at the prices of accommodation I don't know how people do it!

I will be travelling by myself and was planning on possibly staying in various AirBnBs, however I recently read an article saying that short term holiday rentals like AirBnB are being banned in many cities I can't afford holiday homes and apartment rentals by myself. I have come across a site called villamates.com, basically it's a social network for travellers to meet each other and split the cost of accommodation with other members who are in the same place. I thought it looks like a great idea as I can get to know them before I fly and it's a great way to meet new people along my way, but as I haven't heard of it I was unsure on the safety.

Could someone let me know if they have used this site before or if you know of any other ways I can save money on my accommodation on my travels?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Where abouts do you plan on going?

Europe? Asia? America?

If Europe, if you haven't considered it, the hostel experience is great! You meet people like minded, and it's very cheap. I went around europe a few times last year, and spent multiple weeks at a time, and rarely spent more than £10-£15 a night on my accommodation, and met some great people along the way.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.