Turn on thread page Beta

Are new unis ranked lower? (Complete university guide) watch

One of my favourite universities I've looked at is ranked 47th on the WUSCA (student based) ranking. It was established in 2016. It's currently bottom of the CompUniGuide ranking.
    I think it's currently missing some data - the table has nothing for research quality for the uni. Also, next to the ranking in the column where it says if the rank is higher/lower than last year there's a thing saying NEW and it says that this is the unis first year on the table.
    Should I give it the benefit of the doubt because it's a new uni/has missing data or should I rule it out based on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    One of my favourite universities I've looked at is ranked 47th on the WUSCA (student based) ranking. It was established in 2016. It's currently bottom of the CompUniGuide ranking.
    I think it's currently missing some data - the table has nothing for research quality for the uni. Also, next to the ranking in the column where it says if the rank is higher/lower than last year there's a thing saying NEW and it says that this is the unis first year on the table.
    Should I give it the benefit of the doubt because it's a new uni/has missing data or should I rule it out based on this?
    New uni’s are simply because they haven’t had a chance to establish themselves yet. What university is it that you are talking about?
    New unis do tend to make more mistakes than universities that have existed for longer because they are taking on newer staff, new courses and new methods of teaching, meaning they are bound to run into more problems. I’d say you might be better off going to one that’s more established but it’s your choice.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Lily048)
    New uni’s are simply because they haven’t had a chance to establish themselves yet. What university is it that you are talking about?
    New unis do tend to make more mistakes than universities that have existed for longer because they are taking on newer staff, new courses and new methods of teaching, meaning they are bound to run into more problems. I’d say you might be better off going to one that’s more established but it’s your choice.
    Suffolk. I think they were a satellite uni or something? I don't remember what it was called but I know it was a functional uni from 2006-ish that was an extension of a larger uni (like University of Essex has the main Colchester campus and then the Southend campus) and then Suffolk became an independent uni on its own from around last year.

ReputationRep:
    The research data may be missing because Suffolk uni didn't take part in the recent REF (in 2014).

The rest of the data will likely be accurate. I'd suggest taking a look at other sources on offer. The qualitative point about the educational infrastructure being new, unreliable etc. may be something to look into if the university previously depended on the admin network of a larger institution.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.