Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm a second year English lit/drama student at a brick uni (roehampton) but I'm seriously considering dropping out once I've completed this year and doing my third year distance learning at the OU. My mental health is seriously deterioting and my anxiety is worse than it's ever been in my life. I'm from up north and I'm really struggling with continuing to live in London, I'm growing to really dislike most aspects of it and am impatient to move back home with my family. I have friendly aquantiances but no real friends.
    I feel that if I move back home and can be around my family and real friends I would feel more supported and stable, thus allowing me to focus better at my work which I'm really struggling to keep up with.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with dropping out of a brick uni and completing a degree with the OU? Was it difficult to adapt? Did you regret leaving? Did you feel like your modules at the OU corresponded well with the first two years? Do you have to do a dissertation?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caggyxx)
    Hey, I'm a second year English lit/drama student at a brick uni (roehampton) but I'm seriously considering dropping out once I've completed this year and doing my third year distance learning at the OU. My mental health is seriously deterioting and my anxiety is worse than it's ever been in my life. I'm from up north and I'm really struggling with continuing to live in London, I'm growing to really dislike most aspects of it and am impatient to move back home with my family. I have friendly aquantiances but no real friends.
    I feel that if I move back home and can be around my family and real friends I would feel more supported and stable, thus allowing me to focus better at my work which I'm really struggling to keep up with.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with dropping out of a brick uni and completing a degree with the OU? Was it difficult to adapt? Did you regret leaving? Did you feel like your modules at the OU corresponded well with the first two years? Do you have to do a dissertation?

Thanks
    I'm an OU graduate (English Lit as it happens) and I honestly cannot recommend it enough. I've studied with two other traditional universities and one other distance learning uni - and the OU certainly blows the latter one out of the water. No institution in the UK delivers any distance learning that can hold a candle to the OU model.

Little word of warning: it's not all that easy. There's a fair number of papers to write and the grading criteria is pretty rough stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnathan94)
    I'm an OU graduate (English Lit as it happens) and I honestly cannot recommend it enough. I've studied with two other traditional universities and one other distance learning uni - and the OU certainly blows the latter one out of the water. No institution in the UK delivers any distance learning that can hold a candle to the OU model.

Little word of warning: it's not all that easy. There's a fair number of papers to write and the grading criteria is pretty rough stuff.
    Hey, thanks for responding!
    With the English lit, is the any opportunity for discussion of set texts with other students? Like on online chat or forum or something? Because that was one of the things that I actually liked about classes. Or even just engaging in discussion with a tutor?

Also you say there's a lot of essays, how many are you likely to get per module? How long do you get to do them and what is the support like?

I often struggle to meet deadlines because of my anxiety, how are they with stuff like that?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    With the English lit, is the any opportunity for discussion of set texts with other students? Like on online chat or forum or something? Because that was one of the things that I actually liked about classes. Or even just engaging in discussion with a tutor?

Also you say there's a lot of essays, how many are you likely to get per module? How long do you get to do them and what is the support like?

I often struggle to meet deadlines because of my anxiety, how are they with stuff like that?

Thanks!
    Pretty sure at level 3 you will have 6 TMA's (Essays) and an EMA (Longer essay) or an examination per module.

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Hi,

So on the anxiety point - they are absolutely first-rate. Lots of leniency, extensions and understanding. Never met more compassionate, human lecturers than OU ones.

Around 5-6 TMAs per module (you'll likely just do 2) and then a larger EMA. This isn't like a dissertation however, it's much shorter.

And yes, there are both face-to-face and online tutorials, as well as quite active OU forums also.

ReputationRep:
    I’m in the exact same situation as you!! Every time I go into uni I have a panic attack and honestly I don’t feel like I can keep going anymore. I’ve already applied for credit transfer to the OU but the wait is making me really anxious. I’m also really scared I’m going to regret leaving.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.