Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I was recently accepted to Cambridge for an MPhil course and am wondering whether students work during the Christmas and Easter breaks? Assuming no financial support, the cost of attendance for someone not qualifying for home or EU fees is pretty strenuous. While I understand that there is plenty to do over breaks with papers, I would like to know whether working during breaks is frowned upon?

Thanks,

E/R
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Echo_Roman)
    Hello all,

I was recently accepted to Cambridge for an MPhil course and am wondering whether students work during the Christmas and Easter breaks? Assuming no financial support, the cost of attendance for someone not qualifying for home or EU fees is pretty strenuous. While I understand that there is plenty to do over breaks with papers, I would like to know whether working during breaks is frowned upon?

Thanks,

E/R
    Not an expert on this but I think you are expected to be studying during some of the "breaks".

threeportdrift will know :yep:
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Broadly speaking, there is too much work to do to be able to take on any substantial income generating work during the breaks. Working is only frowned upon actively (it always is technically) if you aren't keeping up academically. That's part of the reason why they ask for evidence of money to cover the whole period before you start. It depends exactly how hard you work during term time, but most people find that once they've taken a short break for the festivities/travel too and from home etc, the rest of the time is spent catching up on work and preparing for the next term/dissertation. It would be a very high risk plan to need to work and earn substantially during the breaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Broadly speaking, there is too much work to do to be able to take on any substantial income generating work during the breaks. Working is only frowned upon actively (it always is technically) if you aren't keeping up academically. That's part of the reason why they ask for evidence of money to cover the whole period before you start. It depends exactly how hard you work during term time, but most people find that once they've taken a short break for the festivities/travel too and from home etc, the rest of the time is spent catching up on work and preparing for the next term/dissertation. It would be a very high risk plan to need to work and earn substantially during the breaks.
    Thank you for the info. I have enough in savings to attend, but would prefer to not deplete my savings by attending. My studies would come first, and I’m more looking to see if it’s possible to either pick up an internship that pays over break, or potentially pick up some part-time work at a pub or similar to help cover spending money during term — nothing too crazy. At the end of the day, I’m not relying on the ability to work to attend. I can afford to go as of right now, but it would be nice to make two or three thousand during break to help pay for living expenses during term.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Thank you for the info. I have enough in savings to attend, but would prefer to not deplete my savings by attending. My studies would come first, and I’m more looking to see if it’s possible to either pick up an internship that pays over break, or potentially pick up some part-time work at a pub or similar to help cover spending money during term — nothing too crazy. At the end of the day, I’m not relying on the ability to work to attend. I can afford to go as of right now, but it would be nice to make two or three thousand during break to help pay for living expenses during term.
    I think you might find the practicalities tricky. As Cambridge itself lives in an environment where the Cambridge Uni students aren't allowed to work, the market doesn't have the opportunities. Any internship would be in London and i seriously doubt you'd be able to commute to London in the Easter break and still do the work you needed to complete. Evening bar work is a possibility, but as i say, the market in Cam isn't really set up for it, it's not as if there are loads of students that want to leave term-time jobs creating vacation vacancies. Sometimes the Colleges have cleaning roles if they sell their rooms out. It's all a bit speculative though, it's really not the norm.

ReputationRep:
    I think you might find the practicalities tricky. As Cambridge itself lives in an environment where the Cambridge Uni students aren't allowed to work, the market doesn't have the opportunities. Any internship would be in London and i seriously doubt you'd be able to commute to London in the Easter break and still do the work you needed to complete. Evening bar work is a possibility, but as i say, the market in Cam isn't really set up for it, it's not as if there are loads of students that want to leave term-time jobs creating vacation vacancies. Sometimes the Colleges have cleaning roles if they sell their rooms out. It's all a bit speculative though, it's really not the norm.
    Thanks again for the info. This raises a second question: do students remain in Cambridge during break to study, or do they return home to study?

As an American, working during term is pretty standard, as is returning home over break (and potentially working there). Any internship I take would be outside of the UK over break where I can live with friends and family for free or nearly free — I definitely wouldn’t try to commute from Cambridge to London, especially during term. Sorry for the stupid questions. Just trying to get an understanding of how it works at Cambridge.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Thanks again for the info. This raises a second question: do students remain in Cambridge during break to study, or do they return home to study?

As an American, working during term is pretty standard, as is returning home over break (and potentially working there). Any internship I take would be outside of the UK over break where I can live with friends and family for free or nearly free — I definitely wouldn’t try to commute from Cambridge to London, especially during term. Sorry for the stupid questions. Just trying to get an understanding of how it works at Cambridge.
    So undergrads clear off, College turfs them out of their rooms and sells the rooms to tourists to generate additional income (and make up the shortfall frm fees!). PG students don't usually live in the central College rooms, and can more often stay in their rooms (PhD students certainly can, but I did my Masters part time and can't recall). I think most Masters students stay, because they need to study and the resources are there in Cam. A fair proportion must go home though, especially at Christmas. But generally, the workload doesn't let up during the vacations, it just changes. Sure there are no lectures, and the essay deadlines are longer, but you have to catch up on all the reading you won't have had time to do, and most people have been clinging on to lectures by their finger tips and want to go over all their notes.

Working during term time and vacations is pretty standard in the UK as well, just not at Cambridge and Oxford. Don't forget usual Uni terms are 12 weeks, whereas at Cam and Oxford cram it all into 8 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    So undergrads clear off, College turfs them out of their rooms and sells the rooms to tourists to generate additional income (and make up the shortfall frm fees!). PG students don't usually live in the central College rooms, and can more often stay in their rooms (PhD students certainly can, but I did my Masters part time and can't recall). I think most Masters students stay, because they need to study and the resources are there in Cam. A fair proportion must go home though, especially at Christmas. But generally, the workload doesn't let up during the vacations, it just changes. Sure there are no lectures, and the essay deadlines are longer, but you have to catch up on all the reading you won't have had time to do, and most people have been clinging on to lectures by their finger tips and want to go over all their notes.

Working during term time and vacations is pretty standard in the UK as well, just not at Cambridge and Oxford. Don't forget usual Uni terms are 12 weeks, whereas at Cam and Oxford cram it all into 8 weeks.
    Wonderful insight. Thank you. I’ll be at Wolfson so I don’t imagine they’ll be booting too many students to allow tourists to stay, but as noted above, I know nothing about Cambridge. Anyhow, thank you again for the information. I’ll assume working isn’t going to be feasible, and if an opportunity arises I’ll consult with the college first.

If you don’t mind, would you share any tips, recommendations, etc., that you have for an incoming MPhil student from the US? I’ll be in Wolfson and studying through the Department of Land Economy. Thank you again for your help!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Wonderful insight. Thank you. I’ll be at Wolfson so I don’t imagine they’ll be booting too many students to allow tourists to stay, but as noted above, I know nothing about Cambridge. Anyhow, thank you again for the information. I’ll assume working isn’t going to be feasible, and if an opportunity arises I’ll consult with the college first.

If you don’t mind, would you share any tips, recommendations, etc., that you have for an incoming MPhil student from the US? I’ll be in Wolfson and studying through the Department of Land Economy. Thank you again for your help!
    If an opportunity arises to work, and you feel you can fit it in, then I'd say nothing to College or your Supervisor, as they are obliged to say no/disapprove.

I don't know Wolfson well, visited a few times. I think it hires out for courses rather than B&B for tourists - but the best thing to do is try and email someone in the current MCR (think it's got a different name at Wolfson) and get the inside info from a current student. I've never had any dealings with Land Ec, I just know they are next door to the last cake shop to the west of Cambridge, so if you have to work out if you are cake critical before you've got very far at all. Oh, and the bike shop is just round the corner!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    ... an incoming MPhil student from the US ... studying ... Land Economy.
    Sorry, but I have to ask: are you a rower? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Sorry, but I have to ask: are you a rower? :lol:
    I’m not, but I feel like there is a joke here that has been lost on me 😃

ReputationRep:
    If an opportunity arises to work, and you feel you can fit it in, then I'd say nothing to College or your Supervisor, as they are obliged to say no/disapprove.

I don't know Wolfson well, visited a few times. I think it hires out for courses rather than B&B for tourists - but the best thing to do is try and email someone in the current MCR (think it's got a different name at Wolfson) and get the inside info from a current student. I've never had any dealings with Land Ec, I just know they are next door to the last cake shop to the west of Cambridge, so if you have to work out if you are cake critical before you've got very far at all. Oh, and the bike shop is just round the corner!
    Thanks for the info and advice. I’ll have to check out this cake shop!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I’m not, but I feel like there is a joke here that has been lost on me 😃
    When you meet the rest of the US LandEc folks you'll understand...
    Although moreso Hughes, than Wolfson tbf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    When you meet the rest of the US LandEc folks you'll understand...
    Although moreso Hughes, than Wolfson tbf.

Haha. I see. Well I’ll find out soon enough! I can imagine there is a very telling stereotype that isn’t wrong.

I noticed that Hughes has a lot of business, econ, and law students — is there any rhyme or reason to me being placed in Wolfson? Seems that Wolfson is predominately hard sciences....
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Haha. I see. Well I’ll find out soon enough! I can imagine there is a very telling stereotype that isn’t wrong.

I noticed that Hughes has a lot of business, econ, and law students — is there any rhyme or reason to me being placed in Wolfson? Seems that Wolfson is predominately hard sciences....
    I don't think Wolfson has a particularly sciencey reputation. That's Churchill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.