Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping if someone could help me! I have been accepted on a PGCE course for September to teach biology at secondary school level. I was given the impression by the teaching helpline that the bursary was £26k (which will enable me to leave my job and pay for childcare for 2 small children).

I hold a first class degree with a biology content of over 50% (nursing) but the admissions tutor led me to believe this degree (regardless of classification) would not entitle me to any bursary at all.

Obviously I am concerned as I still have to feed, house and pay the (huge!) childcare bill whilst training and can’t seem to get a firm answer from anyone.

Wondering if anyone else had issues with this?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Clare80)
    I am hoping if someone could help me! I have been accepted on a PGCE course for September to teach biology at secondary school level. I was given the impression by the teaching helpline that the bursary was £26k (which will enable me to leave my job and pay for childcare for 2 small children).

I hold a first class degree with a biology content of over 50% (nursing) but the admissions tutor led me to believe this degree (regardless of classification) would not entitle me to any bursary at all.

Obviously I am concerned as I still have to feed, house and pay the (huge!) childcare bill whilst training and can’t seem to get a firm answer from anyone.

Wondering if anyone else had issues with this?
    As I understand it, the subject of your degree doesn't affect your entitlement to a bursary. Admissions tutors often don't keep updated with chances in finance, or they might be misinformed. I'd suggest contacting your uni's finance office for further advice.

ReputationRep:
    As above. We've had this discussion quite often on TSR and I've gone through the process myself. It does not matter what your degree is only the subject you are training on.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get the bursary I'm in the same boat degree is wildlife and practical conservation and I'm doing secondary physics

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your teaching subject. I’ll be doing a pgce in geography, therefore I get a bursary.
    If I was doing it in primary I would get nothing despite my degree being in geography

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.