Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    i’m in my second year of uni, nearly finished it. i’m just really struggling cause honestly i’m not the smartest person, however my mum and family make me out to be this intelligent person which i’m not. i got at least 7 Gcses. C in maths and english and some of my other subjects and only got one B in History. A levels i studied, Media, English Language and Btec Health & Social care, the btec was easy and i didn’t really want to study it but i dropped out of history cause i hated the teacher and got a U. I ended with A* in the btec and a C in media and a D in english. So as you can see i’m not a really smart person i just scrape by. i go to a **** university which depresses me to death, no real friends that i’m close to, i do go out here and there with them but that’s it. Haven’t really gone to any of my lectures but ive done my essays. i regret the choice of studying media and criminology, because i don’t want to have any career aspects that i want to do that go with the degree and even if i do i’m just really stupid and i’m not putting myself down it’s just the truth and i known my potential. And because i’m not doing so well the second year i’m probably gonna come out with a 3rd which is worth 40% of my degree and i really don’t see the point of finishing. i got a 2:2 in my first year and only just scraped that. I only went to uni because i didn’t know what to do with my life and didn’t want to end up on benefits like my mum, i come from a poor family and life is just *****y atm. i really want to do a pgce, but i need a 2:1 cause i’m really interested in doing a tefl course and just getting out off here and start travelling, however again i don’t think i’d be able to do that cause if i cant cope being 2 hours away from my home how am i supposed to do that in a different country. i think part of me just wants a good job because i feel pressured from my family my dad was like oh i can’t wait to see what you’ll be doing when you finish. blah blah blah. And my brother earns a lot of money being a wagon mechanic and he never went to uni and he says it’s pointless going cause u need hands on expierience. ive never had a job either and i’m 20 and ive tried so hard to find one even applied for voluntary work but nothing cause even some of them want experience. That’s why i want to do tefl mainly because you don’t need past experience just a degree and it’s at least something to put on my CV.

Anyway i’m babbling sorry. Has anyone else felt this way and what would you do? stick uni out or drop out all together.

ReputationRep:
    Try and scrape a 2;2
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Kayl666;76488470]Hi,
    i’m in my second year of uni, nearly finished it. i’m just really struggling cause honestly i’m not the smartest person, however my mum and family make me out to be this intelligent person which i’m not. i got at least 7 Gcses. C in maths and english and some of my other subjects and only got one B in History. A levels i studied, Media, English Language and Btec Health
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayl666)
    Hi,
    i’m in my second year of uni, nearly finished it. i’m just really struggling cause honestly i’m not the smartest person, however my mum and family make me out to be this intelligent person which i’m not. i got at least 7 Gcses. C in maths and english and some of my other subjects and only got one B in History. A levels i studied, Media, English Language and Btec Health & Social care, the btec was easy and i didn’t really want to study it but i dropped out of history cause i hated the teacher and got a U. I ended with A* in the btec and a C in media and a D in english. So as you can see i’m not a really smart person i just scrape by. i go to a **** university which depresses me to death, no real friends that i’m close to, i do go out here and there with them but that’s it. Haven’t really gone to any of my lectures but ive done my essays. i regret the choice of studying media and criminology, because i don’t want to have any career aspects that i want to do that go with the degree and even if i do i’m just really stupid and i’m not putting myself down it’s just the truth and i known my potential. And because i’m not doing so well the second year i’m probably gonna come out with a 3rd which is worth 40% of my degree and i really don’t see the point of finishing. i got a 2:2 in my first year and only just scraped that. I only went to uni because i didn’t know what to do with my life and didn’t want to end up on benefits like my mum, i come from a poor family and life is just *****y atm. i really want to do a pgce, but i need a 2:1 cause i’m really interested in doing a tefl course and just getting out off here and start travelling, however again i don’t think i’d be able to do that cause if i cant cope being 2 hours away from my home how am i supposed to do that in a different country. i think part of me just wants a good job because i feel pressured from my family my dad was like oh i can’t wait to see what you’ll be doing when you finish. blah blah blah. And my brother earns a lot of money being a wagon mechanic and he never went to uni and he says it’s pointless going cause u need hands on expierience. ive never had a job either and i’m 20 and ive tried so hard to find one even applied for voluntary work but nothing cause even some of them want experience. That’s why i want to do tefl mainly because you don’t need past experience just a degree and it’s at least something to put on my CV.

Anyway i’m babbling sorry. Has anyone else felt this way and what would you do? stick uni out or drop out all together.
    You could always decide to take a year out of university to take time to discover what you are interested in? Either that, or i recommend you continue till the end of your degree because you have put in a lot of work already. It won't be easy to continue, but think about how far you have already came. Simply obtaining a degree could be of great value to you, even if you don't go into something related to your degree subjects. Most people don't know what they want to do when they leave university, so don't worry about that. Also it's quite common to not enjoy university either, so you are certainly not alone. Do what you can to get through this last year of university. It will be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    You an do a PGCE with a 2:2, make that your aim or you could try to transfer universities if you're unhappy where you are.

Are you in second year? You get 4 years of student finance so you probably should have made this decision in first year and you could have started somewhere new on a different degree. You could however, take an interruption of study and decide if you want to carry on or not.

Schemes like Get into Teaching only require a 2:2 so make that your goal and use it to get motivated. I believe Teach First do internships as well so you could apply there an do a 2 week placement in June, look into their insight programme - https://www.teachfirst.org.uk/our-pr...ight-programme, They also have a taster programme that lasts 2 days - https://www.teachfirst.org.uk/our-pr...ster-programme

Finally, if you have only completed your first year it doesn't count for anything, your degree grade is solely based on years 2 and 3 (33 to 67% split) so technically you haven't lost anything yet, work on getting motivated and find a way to produce some good results this year. and remember if you still aren't happy where you are by the summer you can always look into transferring to a uni where you may be happier onto a course that suits your abilities more - look into that even if it just gets you somewhere closer to home and remember the 4 years of funding meaning that you can transfer into the second year of a course if you dont meet all the prerequisites to go straight into the third year.

Hope this helps

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.