The Student Room Group

Photography Bristol UWE vs Falmouth

Sorry to be that guy...

Having a hard time choosing between UWE and Falmouth for BA Photography.

I have an unconditional at both, and looking to go into a career in either Photography or Creative Directing.

From what I've heard, UWE is more career based with emphasis on the realistic side of photography, whilst Falmouth is more theoretical.

Any thoughts? Strengths, weaknesses etc of both.
I'm literally in the same boat here. I want to study photography next year, but torn between Fal and UWE. I went to the UWE open day few weeks ago and honestly i was blown away with the facilities there. Bower Ashton is an amazing campus. the course talk for photography was really helpful and knowledgable, and they spoke about what will happen on the course in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year. I'd say if you really want to get a career out of uni then i'd say UWE is the one. The 3rd year really focuses on what you are going to be doing once you graduate. The student ambassadors for photography were really knowledgable, they showed us all around the studios, dark rooms and where all the equipment is kept (theres actually so much equipment) and they recommended to not even bring your own camera as they have everything there for you to book out. Also found out that UWE is actually 4th in terms of its photography course in the UK, and Falmouth is actually 21st. My heart is kind of already set on UWE now, fell in love with the course and the atmosphere there. The accommodation is pretty decent in the city too. If anyone is stuck between Fal and UWE i'd say UWE is the better option, in terms of the course, and facilities. Also comes down to what you want out of your uni experience, like if you want good night life, a buzzing atmosphere in the city, where theres loads of shops and job opportunities, or if you want something a bit quieter like Fal. trust me i know what Cornwall is like i've lived here all my life, kind of why i want to move away. However I am going to look at Fal open day next week, but for me UWE is deffo at the top of my list. Hope this was helpful to anyone who is stuck between Fal and UWE:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending