Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Given that I have a sample of a radioactive isotope X and it contains 1.8 x 10^15 atoms, and the half-life of the isotope is 8 hours.
    The question basically asks :

1. The number of atoms remaining after a period of time (8 hours).
    2. And the number of atoms that would have decayed (8 hours)

I can't tell the difference between the remaining atoms and the atoms that have decayed. I do not know what formula to use.

Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clem H Fandango)
    Given that I have a sample of a radioactive isotope X and it contains 1.8 x 10^15 atoms, and the half-life of the isotope is 8 hours.
    The question basically asks :

1. The number of atoms remaining after a period of time (8 hours).
    2. And the number of atoms that would have decayed (8 hours)

I can't tell the difference between the remaining atoms and the atoms that have decayed. I do not know what formula to use.

Any help would be appreciated!
    After 8 hours, the number of atoms has halved as 8 hours is time period.

So u list 50% of the original total, and u gave 50% of original total left too.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    After 8 hours, the number of atoms has halved as 8 hours is time period.

So u list 50% of the original total, and u gave 50% of original total left too.
    Hi

Thank you for your help.

So for question 1. All I need to do is half the original total?

I don’t understand question 2. and the decay 😩

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clem H Fandango)
    Hi

Thank you for your help.

So for question 1. All I need to do is half the original total?

I don’t understand question 2. and the decay 😩
    In this case as one half life (8 hours) has passed then the number of atoms in the sample will have halved.

So u now have half as many atoms remaining. If you do the initial number of atoms minus the number of atoms after 8 hours, then u will work out how many atoms have decayed.

In a more general sense if the time was not as nice a number then u would use n=n0e^(-lambda*t) where n is the number of atoms remaining. Then n0-n will give u the number pf atoms that have decayed.

If the formatting is an issue or my explanation was unclear please let me know and ill try and rectify that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.