Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How can I do extra in Year 9 to help me for the future? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I am in Year 9 at the moment and want to make sure that I do really well in my GCSEs and also want to have a good few things to put on my application for when I'm applying for university. The school that I'm at doesn't hold very many extra-curricular clubs or anything and although its rather early now I want to do more. Does anyone have any suggestions? If not extra curricular things then how to do really well in GCSEs? Also I've heard of an iGCSE and wondered if you knew a bit about it.

ReputationRep:
    volunteering at a charity shop may be a thing to consider- i think the minimum age for oxfam is 14? dunno about other charity shops though.
    are there any sports or things you enjoy doing? have a look around your local area if you'd like to join a club or take up something new.
    your school will tell you whether you're doing gcses or igcses though it sounds like you're doing gcses. igcses i've heard are more academically rigorous (i don't know how it compares to the new gcse though) and i think they still use letters- your schools choose whether you're doing gcse or igcse.
    don't stress too much though as you're only in year 9- just make sure to study for your end of topic tests and all that so you can get into good habits.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Firstly, well done for having so much motivation and thinking about your future so early on!

IGCSEs are just international GCSEs - they're not too different (although many consider them to be a bit harder). They are taken at international schools abroad and at private schools in the UK.
    As for what to do outside of school, try not to get too stressed out about it and enjoy the time when you don't have that many responsibilities yet
    If you really want to, I'd suggest something like Debating or MUN, so you'll become really good by the time you're in Sixth Form and participate in competitions. Also charity work is really good and you can do at any age. You will find that the older you get, the more extracurricular opportunities will open up to you.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celestiall)
    Hi,
    Firstly, well done for having so much motivation and thinking about your future so early on!

IGCSEs are just international GCSEs - they're not too different (although many consider them to be a bit harder). They are taken at international schools abroad and at private schools in the UK.
    As for what to do outside of school, try not to get too stressed out about it and enjoy the time when you don't have that many responsibilities yet
    If you really want to, I'd suggest something like Debating or MUN, so you'll become really good by the time you're in Sixth Form and participate in competitions. Also charity work is really good and you can do at any age. You will find that the older you get, the more extracurricular opportunities will open up to you.

Good luck!
    Thank you both so so much for replying to my post so quickly, and this is brilliant! I'll definitely have a look around and Oxfam seems a great idea! Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    As others have mentioned, volunteering is valuable and universities may consider it: at your age you may be old enough to volunteer at an animal rescue centre or similar, which is always great. Avoid procrastination and try to do schoolwork straight away rather than putting it off. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, I sure will!

ReputationRep:
    learn an instrument

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's a great idea, I do singing at the moment which should hopefully help!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.