ReputationRep:
    arts subjects

geo at oxford makes 22 k

econ at notts makes 28 k

ReputationRep:
    A STEMM thread on TSR.

Well I never.

ReputationRep:
    Econ isn't STEM, it's a social science. If econ is stem then so is Politics, or middle eastern studies. You actually messed yourself up here because assuming Geo=Physical Geo then Geo is actually a Science/Stem. So you've gone against the point you were trying to make

Outside of Engineering, traditional stem doesn't mean much unless you want to be a scientist. A physics degree from Nott won't beat history from Oxbridge. Either way people can study what they want.

ReputationRep:
    Because they enjoy it? I suppose that if your work feels like a hobby you don't need the extra money to enjoy things outside the work you do.

ReputationRep:
    Because not everyone aspires to be an engineer, scientist or work in the STEM field? If it's what they enjoy then what's it to you? More money for you to get paid with.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Personally doing a science or maths related job would make me utterly miserable. I’m looking to go into media or film, may not work out but worth it for me.

ReputationRep:
    Also, money isn't the only motivator (according to Haslow and his experiment).

Spoiler:
    Show

WJEC Business students should know what I'm on about.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve seen more people fail to get jobs in the field in the science and maths field than art based/social science subjects. Just because they are higher paid doesn’t mean there’s a lot of them going - plus nowadays more people are going to low ranking universities for STEM but are being taken out by those from oxbridge and RG because their subjects are too commonplace and not as rare as they first thought.
    Yeah it may look impressive and IF you get a job in that field it can be well paid, but unless you enjoy it, have good experience to back it up (which is hard to get in these fields unless you have social links or a placement year at university), and can beat out the competition from high rankers, then you’re in no better position than those doing art or non STEM subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said, future income isn’t necessarily a driving factor when choosing a career path. Also you wouldn’t really want to choose a path that you’re terrible at.

ReputationRep:
    Because people follow their hearts.

ReputationRep:
    Also people don't do stem degrees just because they'll be able to make money...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    What a boring world it would be if everyone ignored their interests to follow a single “approved” study and career path.

(Do you really think stem would still attract a premium if everyone studied it? If you do then you might want to work a bit more on your economics studies).

ReputationRep:
    Education isn't the only route in attaining money and success as there are many college and university dropouts that have aspired to become businessmen/businesswomen and now have their own businesses which are thriving. In my opinion, universities usually decline more students that have picked STEM subjects as opposed to those that have opted for courses within the liberal arts due to the wide competitiveness with science associated subjects (candidates that have opted for science oriented subjects compete with each other too and are viable in getting rejected between themselves by both universities and employers). However, that isn't to say that art related subjects are "naught" and "soft" as some people may perceive them as. I should note that a student that has an art-based degree at a 2:1 or above from the University of Cambridge would be more respected and valued by employers verses a student with a STEM course from the University of Durham (also at a 2:1 or above). This is purely based on the university for the selected person and their background - meaning that their experience(s) and personal statement are of high caliber and are worth investing in by universities.

ReputationRep:
    I was pushed by my parents to go into a more 'safe' area, and to take up a 'safer' degree, but I'm currently about to go to University to study journalism, and pursue a career in music on the side, and would never even dream of having a career or getting an education in the FAME or STEM field. I'm an extremely creative person, and for me, the subjects that I would have had to do to go into a course or career in STEM and FAME were just so ridiculously boring to me that I can't even begin to imagine how much I would've hated a course in them.
    Not to mention that money isn't my motivator. So long as I make enough to keep a roof over my head, and put food in my mouth, while working a job I enjoy, I'm more than happy to work in the arts and the liberal arts.

ReputationRep:
    People do what they want to do. If you choose a job just because of the pay, you're gonna be miserable. Of course, you have jobs that pay better, and if that is where your passion lies, so much the better. But if your passion lies elsewhere, don't throw away the majority of your life for some extra cash. You'll have extra money but you won't have the spirit to spend it.

ReputationRep:
    Because people choose things they enjoy. If they enjoy arts subjects they may well pick them over STEM and FAME subjects. There's nothing wrong with it; not everything in the world has to be about money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustACoincidence)
    Because people choose things they enjoy. If they enjoy arts subjects they may well pick them over STEM and FAME subjects. There's nothing wrong with it; not everything in the world has to be about money.
    it is my problem when my taxes pay their benefits
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by veeraxox)
    it is my problem when my taxes pay their benefits
    so get elected and change government policy instead of moaning on a student website.

How much tax do you pay at the moment?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Know Your Enemy)
    Also, money isn't the only motivator (according to Haslow and his experiment).

Spoiler:
    Show

WJEC Business students should know what I'm on about.

Shouldn't that be Maslow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Shouldn't that be Maslow?
    Yeah, excuse the typo. Don't know I put a H...

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.