Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Going to Kenya alone to do some volunteering in the next few months. Has anyone been who could recommend anything in my spare time (presuming I have any)?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrubbyAlder)
    Hey guys!

Going to Kenya alone to do some volunteering in the next few months. Has anyone been who could recommend anything in my spare time (presuming I have any)?

Cheers!
    I have a couple of suggestions: If you are female, be VERY careful about where you go and what you do, particularly if you are alone or with another girl. Rape & homicide are fairly common. Also - be careful to NOT require any medical treatment. Needle re-use (in hospitals and clinics) is quite common, and contracting AIDS is very easy that way. Most Africans don't feel that they have been 'treated' by a doctor, unless they get a 'shot' - and it is often administered with re-used needles. Also, most local males refuse any kind of 'protection' - hence the incidence of AIDS is quite high. I get this from a former colleague who is from Zaire (Kinshasa). Best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit2)
    I have a couple of suggestions: If you are female, be VERY careful about where you go and what you do, particularly if you are along or with another girl. Rape & homocide are fairly common. Also - be careful to NOT require any medical treatment. Needle re-use (in hospitals and clinics) is quite common, and contracting AIDS is very easy that way. Most Africans don't feel that they have been 'treated' by a doctor, unless they get a 'shot' - and it is often administered with re-used needles. Also, most local males refuse any kind of 'protection' - hence the incidence of AIDS is quite high. I get this from a former colleague who is from Zaire (Kinshasa). Best of luck!!
    I'm a guy, not that, that makes me feel immortal or unable to get into trouble. I've also done quite a bit of travelling, and have some support in the village I'm at, so I'm not totally inexperienced.

Thanks for the advice, regardless!

ReputationRep:
    You might be safer booking yourself on to a group tour with a reputable tour company. Kenya is not the kind of country that is safe for travelling alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frances98)
    You might be safer booking yourself on to a group tour with a reputable tour company. Kenya is not the kind of country that is safe for travelling alone
    I asked my former colleague, and he concurred with that too. Cheers.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.