Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reda2)
    I don't understand.
    I mean, for students who take up the Msc Machine Learning course at Imperial, is a large proportion of these students students at Imperial who have done a Maths Bsc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan77642)
    I mean, for students who take up the Msc Machine Learning course at Imperial, is a large proportion of these students students at Imperial who have done a Maths Bsc?
    No as in do I need an MEng in Computing or can i do the 3 year BEng then do the MSc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viganajvazi1999)
    do I need an MEng in Computing or can i do the 3 year BEng then do the MSc
    I have no idea mate. I am in year 13 haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan77642)
    I'm not at Imperial so I don't know, but their entry requirements for Machine Learning masters is "Honour's degree in science, engineering or computing." so possibly. But Just BA in Maths will not be enough to do Machine learning, you need a programming background from a CS or SE course, so I don't think they will accept it, but I have no idea. Just guessing at this point.

ReputationRep:
    As said, money is not a concern, which means I’m ok with taking a “scenic route” and would happily spend more time learning. As for employers, make your mind up about the typical professions those with Maths or Computer Science qualifications go into
    Well my advice is there's no point even if money isn't a concern. The only reason I'd ever advise taking a 2nd degree is if you wouldn't be able to even apply for a job without it. E.G wanting to be an engineer but having a degree in Psycology. So I'd say just do a 2nd degree (if money isn't a problem).

But having a computer science degree then wanting a complete new degree in maths? That's a waste of time. Just do a post grad if it comes to that. Or just do a MEng in your current course instead of a BEng.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No as in do I need an MEng in Computing or can i do the 3 year BEng then do the MSc
    Yes, if you wanted to do an MSc you would normally do it after a 3 year BSc or BEng.

If you started it after an MEng you wouldn't qualify for the Postgraduate Loan due to an MSc being an equivalent qualification to an MEng (although I appreciate that's not your worry, but it would be for everyone else).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2018

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.