Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so right now I'm feeling so low because I'm gradually getting my mock papers back and I've done so badly. In Maths I got a 6 (which is an improvement from last time, but I'm so disappointed) and in Chemistry I got only 51% across the 2 papers... Also in biology I got 46% in Paper 1.

I'm predicted 8's and 9's in all my subjects.

I honestly don't know what to do because GCSEs start in just over 2 months and I'm freaking out! The mocks were so much harder than I thought and I'm afraid I won't achieve my target grades. I want to do IB as well and I need high 7's and 8's to do my higher subjects of choice (biology, chemistry, geography). Can I get my grades up in time for May? If so, how?

Any links to websites and/or resources would be great.

ReputationRep:
    hey, i wouldnt be too stressed about it! first of all being anxious wont help you- it only paralyzes you. second of all, over two months is still a lot of time to turn things around! i dont have any specific help sides for u because i mainly focussed on humanitites. if its any help, i got Ds and Es in all of my mocks and ended up with only As and Bs and two Cs.
    first of all make a revision plan thats realistic (!!) and focusses on your weakest areas. try to get in maybe at least an hour of revision of your weak subjects in. id recommend taking notes and making flashcards. then get your mocks and look where you missed the marks (i think this is probably the most important). then make pick out specific topics and make mindmaps just off of memory, and then look at the things you couldnt remember. i like doing this in two different colored pens so it really shows me what i need to work on! and from there on do past papers on a regular, ask your teachers to mark them and make sure to always ask if you dont understand anything! ive also gotten into the habit of getting up 30mins earlier before school, so every morning i go through my flashcard of at least one of my subjects which has made THE biggest difference!
    good luck, dont stress it too much and still get plenty of sleep and breaks when you need them.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    mockss were sh*ttt hard, did you do aqa physics paper 2? killed everyone

ReputationRep:
    chances are anyway we're the first year so grade boundaries will be very low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAreAYute)
    What came up in Physics paper 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ab6790)
    What came up in Physics paper 2?
    tbh i dont even remember, magnets and shi*t, but my teachers had to modify it bc we havent finished content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shekiT)
    Ok, so right now I'm feeling so low because I'm gradually getting my mock papers back and I've done so badly. In Maths I got a 6 (which is an improvement from last time, but I'm so disappointed) and in Chemistry I got only 51% across the 2 papers... Also in biology I got 46% in Paper 1.

I honestly don't know what to do because GCSEs start in just over 2 months and I'm freaking out! The mocks were so much harder than I thought and I'm afraid I won't achieve my target grades. I want to do IB as well and I need high 7's and 8's to do my higher subjects of choice (biology, chemistry, geography). Can I get my grades up in time for May? If so, how?

51 % is a grade 6 and like 4 marks off a 7. Don't worry, you will be fine. just keep working hard

ReputationRep:
    i haven't done my mocks for march yet but dont worry abt the new exams for science etc. specimen papers are always harder than the real exam so youll basically get a grade higher than what you achieved now. and chemistry is so hard the grade boundaries will be low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosenberger)
    hey, i wouldnt be too stressed about it! first of all being anxious wont help you- it only paralyzes you. second of all, over two months is still a lot of time to turn things around! i dont have any specific help sides for u because i mainly focussed on humanitites. if its any help, i got Ds and Es in all of my mocks and ended up with only As and Bs and two Cs.
    first of all make a revision plan thats realistic (!!) and focusses on your weakest areas. try to get in maybe at least an hour of revision of your weak subjects in. id recommend taking notes and making flashcards. then get your mocks and look where you missed the marks (i think this is probably the most important). then make pick out specific topics and make mindmaps just off of memory, and then look at the things you couldnt remember. i like doing this in two different colored pens so it really shows me what i need to work on! and from there on do past papers on a regular, ask your teachers to mark them and make sure to always ask if you dont understand anything! ive also gotten into the habit of getting up 30mins earlier before school, so every morning i go through my flashcard of at least one of my subjects which has made THE biggest difference!
    good luck, dont stress it too much and still get plenty of sleep and breaks when you need them.
    thanks for the advice! how much revision did you do each day? i'm trying to make a revision schedule but i haven't got round to it lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isadiya)
    i haven't done my mocks for march yet but dont worry abt the new exams for science etc. specimen papers are always harder than the real exam so youll basically get a grade higher than what you achieved now. and chemistry is so hard the grade boundaries will be low.
    i really hope so... i basically sh*tted myself after mocks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAreAYute)
    honestly!!! i wanted to cry after physics omds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baza2002)
    51 % is a grade 6 and like 4 marks off a 7. Don't worry, you will be fine. just keep working hard
    4 marks off a 7? ok not too bad

ReputationRep:
    same with us honestly, so dont stress, grade boundaries will be low X

ReputationRep:
    4 marks off a 7? ok not too bad
    I think so. It might be 5 marks. I can't remember if its 55 marks or 56 marks on each paper (the papers are out of 100 so 1 mark = 1% for that paper). You are doing AQA?

ReputationRep:

I got C-D in all my mocks and ended up getting 3A* 3A 4B. What did I do? nothing. I just chilled with the subject and went with the flow.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it you will be fine, on result's day you WILL get higher!

ReputationRep:

English- 3
    Maths-6
    Geography-7
    Science combined- 7/8
    Religious Studies- 8 !!!!Holla Holla!!!
    Business- A*
    Art- 6 (which was the highest grade) !!!

ReputationRep:
    What came up in physics?My exam is tomorow.

ReputationRep:
    anyone does As or A level Law?

ReputationRep:
    What was on the paper??

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.