Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So a few years ago (2014) I begun an OU degree, I quit after a few months having not even completed the first module. I withdrew having a small loan of 1000 pounds on my name, and never thought or looked back.

So I'm currently doing an access course as a mature student, and I have 5 offers for different unis with a start date this year, however having just looked through my junk emails last night I noticed I have a few emails from the OU addressing me as a "student".

I quickly emailed them and apparently even though I quit my module and my degree, I wasn't taken off my old degree fully, and I have been an inactive student of the OUfor the last 3 years, though without a loan ofc or being signed up to modules.

I quickly told them to close down my account (which I presumed had been done years earlier) and informed them I'd be studying elsewhere this September. They have now done so.

This might just be me being paranoid but could this invalidate my ucas somehow since I applied for uni whilst being a student of the OU (though I was unaware of this, and inactive with no modules or loan) panicking a bit atm!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by "mature"student)
    So a few years ago (2014) I begun an OU degree, I quit after a few months having not even completed the first module. I withdrew having a small loan of 1000 pounds on my name, and never thought or looked back.

So I'm currently doing an access course as a mature student, and I have 5 offers for different unis with a start date this year, however having just looked through my junk emails last night I noticed I have a few emails from the OU addressing me as a "student".

I quickly emailed them and apparently even though I quit my module and my degree, I wasn't taken off my old degree fully, and I have been an inactive student of the OUfor the last 3 years, though without a loan ofc or being signed up to modules.

I quickly told them to close down my account (which I presumed had been done years earlier) and informed them I'd be studying elsewhere this September. They have now done so.

This might just be me being paranoid but could this invalidate my ucas somehow since I applied for uni whilst being a student of the OU (though I was unaware of this, and inactive with no modules or loan) panicking a bit atm!

Nope you should be fine as you only used one years worth of student finance and you are allowed degree length +1, so you have degree length left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Nope you should be fine as you only used one years worth of student finance and you are allowed degree length +1, so you have degree length left.
    I'm not as worried about that, more the fact that I was still technically a student of the OU (though not aware of this and dormant for over 3 years) and I did not declare this when applying for ucas/unis.

Also I didn't declare the fact that I attempted this OU module in my ucas.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'm not as worried about that, more the fact that I was still technically a student of the OU (though not aware of this and dormant for over 3 years) and I did not declare this when applying for ucas/unis.
    If you werent you should have been.
    The other is insignificant. It was dormant.

ReputationRep:
    If you werent you should have been.
    The other is insignificant. It was dormant.
    Ok, thank you.

Do I need to let UCAS know that I attempted an OU module btw?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ok, thank you.

Do I need to let UCAS know that I attempted an OU module btw?
    Sounds like you didnt sit an exam, so no.
    If your applications are in or you get offers or interviews, then you can mention it direct, but honestly they wouldnt be interested.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you didnt sit an exam, so no.
    If your applications are in or you get offers or interviews, then you can mention it direct, but honestly they wouldnt be interested.
    Yeah I didn't technically fail or anything, I did a couple of months of the module and dropped out before any exams or coursework. I have all my offers.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yeah I didn't technically fail or anything, I did a couple of months of the module and dropped out before any exams or coursework. I have all my offers.
    I dont believe you had to disclose anything, but for speed, then once you decide on firm and insurance just check with admissions and they will tell you its nothing.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.