Year 11 Summer Holiday - what did you do?

Watch this thread
so5tired758
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'll be doing my GCSEs this summer and then will have the longest summer I've ever had!!! Problems is I don't want to just waste it watching TV and doing nothing much, I don't have lots of friends to hang out with day in day out but I definitely want to do some fun things. Just wondering, what did anyone else do with this summer/ is planning to do? thanks xx
Eilis_R
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I worked at the local veterinary practice over the summer, it was great for work experience and to earn money.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I went back to watching Naruto and finishing my other animes
Spoiler:
Show

When I wasn't doing that, I was stressing over my results to the point where my mum became more depressed over Results Day than I was :rofl:
dreaming_spires
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing GCSEs this year and I'm planning to do the NCS programme which takes up a lot of time lol. I'm also going out on day trips with friends and doing loads of organising and clearing/cleaning.
username3546138
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Please take a break as well as do stuff, trust me depending on your A levels you may not get much rest in the future.
so5tired758
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by i_solemnly_swear)
I'm doing GCSEs this year and I'm planning to do the NCS programme which takes up a lot of time lol. I'm also going out on day trips with friends and doing loads of organising and clearing/cleaning.
I'm thinking of doing NCS too, maybe it is a great idea. Thanks x
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by so5tired758)
Hi, I'll be doing my GCSEs this summer and then will have the longest summer I've ever had!!! Problems is I don't want to just waste it watching TV and doing nothing much, I don't have lots of friends to hang out with day in day out but I definitely want to do some fun things. Just wondering, what did anyone else do with this summer/ is planning to do? thanks xx
If you are going to uni and have a career in mind, get any small work experience placements just so it shows you have a clear interest, start applying now!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Did my GCSEs last year. My last exam was further maths on a Monday naturally, finishing later than the rest of the year was pretty annoying, seeing others free and happy while I was stuck revising over the weekend. The first week I slept. A lot. I would always revise from 3pm-9pm then wake up at 3am and revise until 6am then get ready for school to do the exam (don’t make the same mistake I did by revising the night before/on the day of the exam) so sleep was a blessing. I didn’t do any work experience/placements but I highly recommend doing something to get you started for personal statements (still seems daunting to me)
I watched anime, went out to eat, did a lot of shopping, finally got a haircut and went out with family to different places in the country. I also went to Japan, which was nice.
Threw out all the flashcards, posters and past paper questions I did and donated my revision guides that I never got around to using.
Honest advice? Just take a break. You’re free from studying, do all the things you didn’t get to do during the lead up to exams.
HotDetermination
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
I took the time to make myself become a better person. I got into reading, drawing, football and self-studying. I truly worked super hard on myself because I didn't want to just sit around wasting my time. The discipline I gained from doing this has helped me in my A-levels, so I'd recommend taking the huge amount of free time you'll have to work on yourself.
ID73645298
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Just have fun ! Personally I didn’t know what to do either so i would just meet up with my friends and I started going to the gym everyday honestly the summer went by so quickly pls enjoy it whilst you can because a levels are STRESS
slurredsquash
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi!

I'm in year 13 now, boy do I envy you It was pretty good!

- Walked to my best friends house like every day to get an ice lolly and just chill
- Stayed over with my buddies a lot, made pancakes at 1am, the whole shebang
- Went into London a few times to explore and try new stuff/food/etc

But the best thing totally was;
- Got an air bnb with my buddies in Broadstairs for a week! It was lots of fun! If you can get away for a bit it might be great for your independence!

Have a great time, you'll deserve it!
prestiger448
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Imma do that in 2 weeks (but I've watched Naruto, so imma watch fairy tail, new dbs, one punch man s2 ...)

(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I went back to watching Naruto and finishing my other animes
Spoiler:
Show

When I wasn't doing that, I was stressing over my results to the point where my mum became more depressed over Results Day than I was :rofl:
FionaMacrae
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by so5tired758)
If you want to go on a holiday, the best time to go is before the schools go on holiday. My mum took me and my twin sister to Oceland where we rented a van and drove to all the sites and we had a brilliant time - fewer tourists and gorgeous views!

If you want to work on anything for sixth form or college then look for any summer schools or courses. I felt like I would be lagging in one of my subjects, so I went on the KCL classics course (non residential). There were loads of other courses on at the same time, so no matter your subject there'll be something out there for you. Many courses may have closed admissions by now, but overly desperate and apologetic emails can go a long way!

You could plan activity days with your friends - go bowling, do an escape room, have a Harry Potter marathon, a sewing day, a barbeque - whatever it is you all enjoy doing together. Do it every couple of weeks with whoever's available to keep up with each other.

J hope this gives you a few ideas, have a great summer!
DaniellaDZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hey, if you are still online I wanted to ask if I could do this for my summer? Would they let me just stay for a month and would any chain vets like Vets4Pets let me? Also what type of work did you so? Thank you.
DaniellaDZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Eilis_R)
I worked at the local veterinary practice over the summer, it was great for work experience and to earn money.
Hey, if you are online I wanted to ask if vets still allow this. I will have an entire month to not do much and want to know if I want to do veterinary science. Do chain vets like Vets4Pets do this and what type of work did you do? Thank you.
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I took two complete months off from formal learning. I made cupcakes, watched movies and had a great summer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (23)
17.83%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.03%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.88%

Watched Threads