Turn on thread page Beta

Friend stealing my identity watch

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    How are they stolen songs? They are songs that are already available online, whether they are known about or not, she could have found them anyway. You're getting worked up about a person listening to songs. Why is this such a big issue for you? They're just songs.
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    No I wouldn't be annoyed at that, because it's just clothes. You're ignoring my question. How is she stealing your identity by listening to songs you also listen to?
    She would not have found them I can guarantee that. She isn't interested in those genres enough to actually explore them herself. It's an issue for me because it's not the only thing she copies. She's never really had her own identity. Well she does but it's not "cool enough" for her new cool uni mates.
    And she's stealing my musical identity because she's copying my taste in music and passing it off as her own. Like I said, they are public playlists and some of my other friends listen to them and that's absolutely great and I listen to theirs as well. But she just copied and pasted them into her playlist without even asking and like you, doesn't see a problem with it.
    I'm not friends with her uni friends so it's not an issue of me jealous that they don't know it's my music. It's just the fact that she's copied my playlists and passed them off as her own. Don't know why a friend would do that.

(Original post by num.7)
    you have a friend, who copies your playlists and deceivingly shows them as her own. that's your issue.

you think it's because of her pride, when really she's just trying to fit in because she's insecure. think of it like this: you're helping her make friends and helping the artists make money. continue creating playlists, sharing hidden gems and talking about music with her - ... she does like your music taste, otherwise she wouldn;'t ahve thought it was cool enough to share - even suggest telling her friends about it and addressing her insecurities.

you can play the entire situation, as a way for her to trust you more and appreciate you more as a friend.
    Thanks, yeah I actually love sharing songs with people. It's not that I'm a hipster who hates when songs become well known. I'm always up for giving song suggestions. It's just the fact she just took them.

ReputationRep:
    out of curiosity, what else does she copy you on? what you wear too?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, fascinating stuff

you should really just call this thread "I'm uncomfortable about the fact that my friend likes the same things as me"

just think you could start a subculture of something idk

(Original post by num.7)
    out of curiosity, what else does she copy you on? what you wear too?
    Clothes, makeup, hair, jewellery, shoes. Can't remember what else but it was all throughout school. Those things don't really bother me as much and I take it as a compliment. Used to bother me when we'd hang out and she'd turn up in my things, but now we're at uni and not going to the same social events it doesn't bother me. I think it might be because she's an only child and so never really had any other influence from older brothers or sisters. I didn't have any influence re. clothes and music from my brother, but I feel like I grew up quite quickly and developed my own tastes because of him.

(Original post by Dodo0099)
    Wow, fascinating stuff

you should really just call this thread "I'm uncomfortable about the fact that my friend likes the same things as me"

just think you could start a subculture of something idk
    I have a lot of friends who I share similar interests with including music. I don't care about that. It's the fact that it isn't organic. She has literally just copied and pasted my playlists.

ReputationRep:
    Watch Frasier episode "The Great Crane Robbery" (Season 8, Episode 4). It is similar to your situation, you will enjoy it lol.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But she just copied and pasted them into her playlist without even asking and like you, doesn't see a problem with it.
    Because they don't belong to you?

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Because they don't belong to you?
    The playlists "belong" to me. I haven't copyrighted the songs but I have constructed my own playlists which are on my profile. Have you ever watched a dj set? Dj's don't just steal each other's tracklists/sets. They might pinch a couple of songs here and there but to copy a whole set would be ridiculous. Even though the dj didn't write the original songs.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The playlists "belong" to me. I haven't copyrighted the songs but I have constructed my own playlists which are on my profile. Have you ever watched a dj set? Dj's don't just steal each other's tracklists/sets. They might pinch a couple of songs here and there but to copy a whole set would be ridiculous. Even though the dj didn't write the original songs.
    But unless they're private or copywrited to you, then she has every right to use them.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    But unless they're private or copywrited to you, then she has every right to use them.
    Obviously she can do what she wants. There are functions that allow the person to copy and paste. But I don't think it was right of her. Or what a good friend would do. And I don't think she understands why it bothers me so she's only going to continue doing this sort of stuff.

(Original post by RockyDennis)
    Watch Frasier episode "The Great Crane Robbery" (Season 8, Episode 4). It is similar to your situation, you will enjoy it lol.
    Hahaha thanks I enjoyed that very much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.