Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure about careers, I'm an A* student, achieving full marks in Biology GCSE. I love science and I'm considering medicine.

So,for what reasons do you want to do medicine and why i should or not do it??

ReputationRep:
    We can’t tell you why you should or should not want to do Medicine. It’s a very long course and you really need to know if it’s right for YOU personally before you invest your time and money into it. I’d suggest to arrange some work experience in a hospital, or volunteer at an old people’s home, or at least something involved with the care/support of people (young or old). Medicine is not as glamorous as TV shows make it out to be. Just enjoying your sciences isn’t a good indicator about whether Medicine is right for you. If you find you don’t like the people side, then maybe you would enjoy a purely science degree instead. Well done with your GCSE marks! If you choose to go for medicine then ensure you keep it up. Don’t be like the rest of us who are now stressing about our final grades!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiousmedic)
    We can’t tell you why you should or should not want to do Medicine. It’s a very long course and you really need to know if it’s right for YOU personally before you invest your time and money into it. I’d suggest to arrange some work experience in a hospital, or volunteer at an old people’s home, or at least something involved with the care/support of people (young or old). Medicine is not as glamorous as TV shows make it out to be. Just enjoying your sciences isn’t a good indicator about whether Medicine is right for you. If you find you don’t like the people side, then maybe you would enjoy a purely science degree instead. Well done with your GCSE marks! If you choose to go for medicine then ensure you keep it up. Don’t be like the rest of us who are now stressing about our final grades!
    Just curious, what uni do you attend and how did you find the interviews and the UKCAT. Thank you for replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eilis_R)
    Just curious, what uni do you attend and how did you find the interviews and the UKCAT. Thank you for replying.
    I don’t attend uni just yet! I’m an applicant for 2018 entry. If I (fingers crossed) get an A*AA in my A levels, I should be starting at Imperial in October. The UKCAT and interviews (somewhat) can be prepared for. I prepared a lot for both. The UKCAT was easier than the BMAT but is very time pressured and so can be a little difficult at first. It definitely does get easier with practice though. I’d recommend starting to practice this summer and to buy medify as it gives you LOADS of questions and has an online interface which is comparable to the real thing. The BMAT is more difficult in my opinion. It’s more scientific and a little trickier to understand questions too. Imperial has interviewed people with 4.1 in the first section this year which is (I believe) the lowest it’s been 😂 so it looks like many people found the BMAT difficult. Also the interviews can vary from medical school to medical school, but if you’re able to reflect on your work experience well and have a decent understanding of current medical issues and news, you should have no problem! Interviews can seem a little daunting, but they’re not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiousmedic)
    ^this

You just have to have a personal reason, know it’s right for you. For me I knew this was it when I was volunteering, and a patient was unwell so I stayed to talk to her, she cried at some point but at the end she took my hand and thanked me and smiled and honestly I have never ever in my entire life felt better. Whenever I think “why did I decide to do this” and “this will be way too difficult for me” I just think back to that moment and get my motivation back on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eilis_R)
    I'm unsure about careers, I'm an A* student, achieving full marks in Biology GCSE. I love science and I'm considering medicine.

So,for what reasons do you want to do medicine and why i should or not do it??
    Have you done any work experience or reading into what the job is like? What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Have you done any work experience or reading into what the job is like? What are your thoughts?
    I'm Year 12 in Northern Ireland (so Yr 11 in England). I have had an interest in medicine since a young age, though this year as a result of A-level choices I became more focused on this career. I read magazines such as Scientific America, New Scientist, BMJ and Student BMJ to keep up to date with recent medical developments. In regards to medical books; Getting into medical school, So you want to be a doctor? and Medical school interviews among others I am currently reading. I am very serious and determined about this choice and I have recently applied to volunteer at the local hospital. I am drawn towards this career due to a number of aspects; the demanding nature, the science element, working with people, continued learning throughout career and the ability to help people directly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.