Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying my GCSEs (my exams start this May) and I am thinking about my A Level choices for next year. I want to be a vet so I am 100% certain on taking Biology and Chemistry however I am a bit stuck when picking my third.

I have considered Maths but I think it would be a crazy amount of work and I probably wouldn't do the best.

As of right now my third choice is Psychology however I am slightly worried about people saying it's an essay subject (although the course has changed recently so might be different) and that it is classed as a 'C' subject and is not an 'academic' subject so may not be the best for getting into vet school.

Last week my Spanish teacher found me to ask me if I was considering doing Spanish and told be that it would be a great choice because unis love it and because it is an 'A' subject.

I am seriously considering Spanish A Level now but I am worried that it will be very different to GCSE (I am predicted a 7) and will be really hard.

Ideally I would get an A in all of my A Levels.

Please could I have some advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzylea)
    I am currently studying my GCSEs (my exams start this May) and I am thinking about my A Level choices for next year. I want to be a vet so I am 100% certain on taking Biology and Chemistry however I am a bit stuck when picking my third.

I have considered Maths but I think it would be a crazy amount of work and I probably wouldn't do the best.

As of right now my third choice is Psychology however I am slightly worried about people saying it's an essay subject (although the course has changed recently so might be different) and that it is classed as a 'C' subject and is not an 'academic' subject so may not be the best for getting into vet school.

Last week my Spanish teacher found me to ask me if I was considering doing Spanish and told be that it would be a great choice because unis love it and because it is an 'A' subject.

I am seriously considering Spanish A Level now but I am worried that it will be very different to GCSE (I am predicted a 7) and will be really hard.

Ideally I would get an A in all of my A Levels.

Please could I have some advice?
    For me honestly, maths was the least amount of work - definitely the easiest a level if you're good at maths. Biology will take up most of your time however. You're teacher is telling you to pick spanish but believe me GCSE spanish and A level spanish has a HUGE difference - it's a lot of work - that's not really worth it if you're wanting to be a vet. I think the 3rd subject doesn't really matter though, as long as you have bio and chem, so i wouldn't try to pick a really hard subject, because biology and chemistry alone will take some serious revision.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently also studying my GCSE's. My A-level choices are; Biology,Chemistry,Geography and Irish. I know this sounds cliche but choose what you love, talk to your teachers and figure out which you would achieve best at. All of the subjects you are considering are strong so now it just depends on what you really love, enjoy and will do well at.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is not very 'content heavy' unlike biology and chemistry (I do maths, further maths and chemistry and I'm in y13 - I dropped bio in year 12) and can be revised through past papers and questions, i.e. you won't be writing masses of notes etc. and will support your chemistry calculations in physical and inorganic chemistry so much its without a doubt the best option.

Also maths is very highly regarded by universities, more so than psychology. Maths, bio, chem is a very popular combination amongst vet med and medics for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is an easy subject. You don't have to do a lot of cramming for maths unlike Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamfyre)
    For me honestly, maths was the least amount of work - definitely the easiest a level if you're good at maths. Biology will take up most of your time however. You're teacher is telling you to pick spanish but believe me GCSE spanish and A level spanish has a HUGE difference - it's a lot of work - that's not really worth it if you're wanting to be a vet. I think the 3rd subject doesn't really matter though, as long as you have bio and chem, so i wouldn't try to pick a really hard subject, because biology and chemistry alone will take some serious revision.
    Thanks for the advice, if you don't mind me asking, how did you find GCSE maths? I am worried all the people doing it for A Level will be amazing and that I will find it difficult...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, if you don't mind me asking, how did you find GCSE maths? I am worried all the people doing it for A Level will be amazing and that I will find it difficult...
    It is quite a big step up from gcse but with practice it's not too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roquebrune2014)
    Maths is not very 'content heavy' unlike biology and chemistry (I do maths, further maths and chemistry and I'm in y13 - I dropped bio in year 12) and can be revised through past papers and questions, i.e. you won't be writing masses of notes etc. and will support your chemistry calculations in physical and inorganic chemistry so much its without a doubt the best option.

Also maths is very highly regarded by universities, more so than psychology. Maths, bio, chem is a very popular combination amongst vet med and medics for a reason.
    Thank you, I am just worried that I will find Maths too difficult as everything I've heard from people at my school is that it is really hard and only certain people can cope with it?

ReputationRep:
    I did the old spec luckily XD, but you have to remember the same number of students get a*,a's etc, the GB will be lower. As long as you revise properly, you should be completely fine.

ReputationRep:
    What are you on track to get in GCSE maths?

ReputationRep:
    Maths really isn’t too bad. I’m halfway through year 12 and we’ve already finished all the AS content as it’s actually quite easy.

If you don’t mind geography- that’s another one that vet schools like for the one health one medicine aspect of it.

Also can I suggest you start on work experience ASAP if you haven’t already- it will be a lot less stressful if you start now!

Good luck :-)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I am just worried that I will find Maths too difficult as everything I've heard from people at my school is that it is really hard and only certain people can cope with it?
    No worries! There is no 'type' of person that can cope with maths over anything else, all a levels require effort but for maths there are a wealth of resources out there online (Examsolutions, Hegarty maths, Khan academy, online textbooks, etc.) and at my school it's the best supported subject at a level in terms of drop in sessions etc. (may be unique to my school) but the point is that the maths will help you with your chemistry calculations, will be easier to revise for and is popular with universities.

The final choice has to come down to you and what you want to do, you'll struggle to do well in an a level you don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    What are you on track to get in GCSE maths?
    Im predicted a level 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roquebrune2014)
    No worries! There is no 'type' of person that can cope with maths over anything else, all a levels require effort but for maths there are a wealth of resources out there online (Examsolutions, Hegarty maths, Khan academy, online textbooks, etc.) and at my school it's the best supported subject at a level in terms of drop in sessions etc. (may be unique to my school) but the point is that the maths will help you with your chemistry calculations, will be easier to revise for and is popular with universities.

The final choice has to come down to you and what you want to do, you'll struggle to do well in an a level you don't like.
    Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stimtothesky)
    Maths really isn’t too bad. I’m halfway through year 12 and we’ve already finished all the AS content as it’s actually quite easy.

If you don’t mind geography- that’s another one that vet schools like for the one health one medicine aspect of it.

Also can I suggest you start on work experience ASAP if you haven’t already- it will be a lot less stressful if you start now!

Good luck :-)
    Thank you, and yes thanks I've got some places booked for work experience already

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.