Turn on thread page Beta

I got rejected from UCL but because of the deadline watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just had a question in my head that really bothers me: To put it simple, i've applied through UCAS in several universities and one of them was Uni of sussex which was kind of a back up solution, in case i wouldn't cope with the other unis. The thing is that ive submitted my application in time ( one day before the deadline), but 3 days after the deadline ( Jan the 15th), ive replaced sussex with UCL. After that UCL told me they've started to consider my application even though i sent it after the deadline. I'm french so the grades are not the same as in the UK. Basically i heard that a predicted grade of 15/ 20 was required to enter UCL with of course a good personal statement, I managed to obtained 17/20 so way better than the minimum. A week ago i got rejected with the following reason : "Unfortunately, you have submitted your application after the UCAS deadline. UCL does not consider late applications for this programme of study." I'm super pissed because i m quite shure my application was strong enough to pass throud the initial assesment.

Do you think that eventhough it's risky and bold , I can send them an email either for asking them explaining why i got rejected and also if they can reconsider my application by telling them a lie like " there was a problem with my choices " or i've been hacked" I know it's childish but icant think of something else to do
    thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    You could phone em up and try appeal. If not then you could always wait for UCAS adjustment/clearing. Your course may be on their if it's not super competitive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is a little annoying that they said they'd consider you, and then tell you that they wouldn't. Apart from that, not much you can do. Maybe go through clearing later on.

(Original post by victor999)
    Hi guys, just had a question in my head that really bothers me: To put it simple, i've applied through UCAS in several universities and one of them was Uni of sussex which was kind of a back up solution, in case i wouldn't cope with the other unis. The thing is that ive submitted my application in time ( one day before the deadline), but 3 days after the deadline ( Jan the 15th), ive replaced sussex with UCL. After that UCL told me they've started to consider my application even though i sent it after the deadline. I'm french so the grades are not the same as in the UK. Basically i heard that a predicted grade of 15/ 20 was required to enter UCL with of course a good personal statement, I managed to obtained 17/20 so way better than the minimum. A week ago i got rejected with the following reason : "Unfortunately, you have submitted your application after the UCAS deadline. UCL does not consider late applications for this programme of study." I'm super pissed because i m quite shure my application was strong enough to pass throud the initial assesment.

Do you think that eventhough it's risky and bold , I can send them an email either for asking them explaining why i got rejected and also if they can reconsider my application by telling them a lie like " there was a problem with my choices " or i've been hacked" I know it's childish but icant think of something else to do
    thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't lie to them, not least because universities read this forum and with the information you've given it's likely they could identify you from this thread.

Did UCL actually send you correspondence saying they would consider your application or did the status just change on UCAS track? I don't know whether the policy differs between unis - I assume it does if UCAS allows you to do this. But I would see if there is any information on the university website about whether the department considers late applications or swapping out of universities after the deadline. If there is and it says that the department/university won't consider late applications, then I'm not sure there's anything that you can do unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, "I've been hacked"
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

thanks a lot
    If you say there was a problem with your application, they will ask for proof, so I don't think that's a route to go down.

It's likely when they initially said they were considering your application it was an automated or semi-automated email that didn't take into account the date of your application.

It also sounds like for the moment they've given out all the offers they want to, or are confident they can give out enough offers.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to force them to accept you. You might be able to gain a place via clearing. Otherwise, if you really want to go to UCL, take a gap year and reapply (on time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trou_noir)
    I wouldn't lie to them, not least because universities read this forum and with the information you've given it's likely they could identify you from this thread.

Did UCL actually send you correspondence saying they would consider your application or did the status just change on UCAS track? I don't know whether the policy differs between unis - I assume it does if UCAS allows you to do this. But I would see if there is any information on the university website about whether the department considers late applications or swapping out of universities after the deadline. If there is and it says that the department/university won't consider late applications, then I'm not sure there's anything that you can do unfortunately.
    Actually the status change on UCAS track but UCL also sent me an email

"We are very pleased that you have applied to study in the School of Management at UCL and are emailing to provide more information about our department.

The School of Management’s undergraduate programmes will provide you with an opportunity to develop strong quantitative and analytical skills, an in-depth understanding of how companies work, and a rigorous foundation in the key skills needed to build successful careers in global businesses. The School works closely with global companies and innovative start-ups at the cutting edge of management science practice.

Our world-class teaching is focused on producing individuals who understand the context of their work, who are independent and self-directed, and who want to have an impact in their field. The Integrated Engineering Programme (IEP), our integrated undergraduate framework, offers discipline-specific, technical programmes, while bringing students together for a broader range of multidisciplinary projects.

Alongside this, you will be taught transferable professional skills, such as communication and ethics, alongside design using real world examples from global companies that are tailored to each subject. This applied approach to learning is known to create well-rounded graduates with a strong grasp of the fundamentals of their discipline and with a broad understanding of the complexity and context of management problems.

We are considering your application and will get back to you in due course. In the meantime, if you have any questions about our degree programmes please do get in touch.Kind regards,

UCL School of Management"

ReputationRep:
    They've probably already filled all their places which is why they rejected you (with a lame excuse too). See what happens on results day and consider taking a gap year/going through adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    "I've been hacked" - that's hilarious because it makes no sense, unless your calendar was hacked and they set the date back by 3 days...

I can't really offer any advice other than what others have said - give them a call and ask but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Lmao, "I've been hacked"

i know it's dumb but what else can I do?

ReputationRep:

i know it's dumb but what else can I do?
    Learn from your mistake and submit applications on time in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Actually the status change on UCAS track but UCL also sent me an email

"We are very pleased that you have applied to study in the School of Management at UCL and are emailing to provide more information about our department.

The School of Management’s undergraduate programmes will provide you with an opportunity to develop strong quantitative and analytical skills, an in-depth understanding of how companies work, and a rigorous foundation in the key skills needed to build successful careers in global businesses. The School works closely with global companies and innovative start-ups at the cutting edge of management science practice.

Our world-class teaching is focused on producing individuals who understand the context of their work, who are independent and self-directed, and who want to have an impact in their field. The Integrated Engineering Programme (IEP), our integrated undergraduate framework, offers discipline-specific, technical programmes, while bringing students together for a broader range of multidisciplinary projects.

Alongside this, you will be taught transferable professional skills, such as communication and ethics, alongside design using real world examples from global companies that are tailored to each subject. This applied approach to learning is known to create well-rounded graduates with a strong grasp of the fundamentals of their discipline and with a broad understanding of the complexity and context of management problems.

We are considering your application and will get back to you in due course. In the meantime, if you have any questions about our degree programmes please do get in touch.Kind regards,

UCL School of Management"
    Isn’t that just an automated email?

Regardless, late applications are probably considered at their discretion. Just ring them and ask if you really want to know.

Don’t lie though. It’s not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trou_noir)
    Isn’t that just an automated email?

Regardless, late applications are probably considered at their discretion. Just ring them and ask if you really want to know.

Don’t lie though. It’s not worth it.
    I think you’re right it’s an automated email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    If you say there was a problem with your application, they will ask for proof, so I don't think that's a route to go down.

It's likely when they initially said they were considering your application it was an automated or semi-automated email that didn't take into account the date of your application.

It also sounds like for the moment they've given out all the offers they want to, or are confident they can give out enough offers.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to force them to accept you. You might be able to gain a place via clearing. Otherwise, if you really want to go to UCL, take a gap year and reapply (on time).
    Are you shure they're on clearing? And if so, how does it works? Do I need to call them? email em ? And when?

thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are you shure they're on clearing? And if so, how does it works? Do I need to call them? email em ? And when?

thanks
    No, I'm not sure- that's why I said might. No-one knows which unis/courses will be in clearing until A-level results day. I also didn't necessarily mean getting a place at UCL- just a place you wanted to go to.

If you want to enter clearing, you need to not be holding any offers (so either you've rejected all your choices, or all your choices have rejected you at some stage). You initially need to call- as early as possible when spaces are announced on UCAS. You will need a UCAS account so that unis can process your application. Spaces often fill very quickly, so you need to act quickly too!

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I got an offer from Warwick and uni of Manchester . And i think it would be really dumb to reject these two offers because I’m not even sure ucl would be in clearing and even though it’s on clearing there is a very little chance that they would make me an offer as it seem really competitive. I also saw on their website that decisions they make are final and that application can’t be reviewed . Do you think I can call them or email them to ask if something else is possible as my case is a bit special (rejected because of the deadline )
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

thanks a lot
    So have we decided:

You missed the deadline?
    The e-mail was automated?

There appears to be a strange mix of automation, v actually being late.
    Your only claim is if they had said they were considering it [for real], then that would entitle you to ask for feedback.

If you were rejected for simply being late, then its unlikely they bothered to read.

Waiting for clearing would be extremely dodgy imo. If you are that keen on going apply for 2019.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The thing is I got an offer from Warwick and uni of Manchester . And i think it would be really dumb to reject these two offers because I’m not even sure ucl would be in clearing and even though it’s on clearing there is a very little chance that they would make me an offer as it seem really competitive. I also saw on their website that decisions they make are final and that application can’t be reviewed . Do you think I can call them or email them to ask if something else is possible as my case is a bit special (rejected because of the deadline )
    Well done on your offers. If you would be happy at one of these universities, I agree it would be silly to reject them on the chance you might get into UCL via clearing or next year.

Being rejected due to the deadline does not make your case special. Arguably, it makes you less entitled to feedback as you know why you were rejected, and it would be more work to give you feedback, as chances are no-one has fully read your application. However, there is nothing to stop you calling or emailing, but I would expect UCL will just reiterate their policy.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=999tigger;76748504]So have we decided:

You missed the deadline?

Your only claim is if they had said they were considering it [for real], then that would entitle you to ask for feedback.

If you were rejected for simply being late, then its unlikely they bothered

(Original post by 999tigger)
    So have we decided:

You missed the deadline?

If you were rejected for simply being late, then its unlikely they bothered to read.

Waiting for clearing would be extremely dodgy imo. If you are that keen on going apply for 2019.
    Yeah i m almost sure the email was automated

Would you call them or email them to discuss/appeal ?
    And if so what would you say on the email / phone call ??
    I want ucl so badly I would be ready to meet one of the admissions tutor at the campus
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    [QUOTE=victor999;76748758]
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    So have we decided:

You missed the deadline?

If you were rejected for simply being late, then its unlikely they bothered

Yeah i m almost sure the email was automated

Would you call them or email them to discuss/appeal ?
    And if so what would you say on the email / phone call ??
    I want ucl so badly I would be ready to meet one of the admissions tutor at the campus
    Out of interest why were you so close to the deadline?
    If UCL was such a target then why was it not in your original 5?

I think you have virtually no case.

You missed the deadline, that is down to you.
    All im seeing is they sent an automated e-mail out after the deadline , which led you to believe you were being considered

They respond by saying all considered means is we check. the first check was the application in time, to which they say no and you are rejected.

You can call them on the basis you thought you were being considered and the e-mail led you to believe the deadline was not an issue.

I think it is very weak. UI you want UCL so badly then you should have made sure your application was in weeks/ months before the deadline.

If you want it so badly , then reapply for 2019. It is what i would do.

Warwick is a very good uni. I expect the glamour of studying in London has gotten to you.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.